1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Keep IP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BEEFY2069, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BEEFY2069

BEEFY2069 Thread Starter

Hey all what's up. Ok, I've got a problem here. A customer has brought his computer into the store I work at saying that it cannot keep an IP. This is what Shaw tells him. He is running a Dell Latitude lap top, with a dell Fast Ethernet 10/100 PCMCIA card. Now we have a DHCP server upstairs where I work, and if you release and renew, It does manage to find an IP address, he is running 2000 so I have to do this from a dos prompt. But when you exit the dos prompt and try to access the internet, it does not find anything. It try's and then comes up page Cannot be displayed.. SO here's what I've tried.
    1. Tried releasing and renewing IP.
    2. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling his PCMCIA card.
    3. Tried installing a different PCMCIA card.
    4. Made sure it was set to connect through a LAN and not dial in.

-If You have anything else I might be able to try, I would Much appreciate it. Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You could start by posting the results of an IPCONFIG /ALL from the machine, and from a working machine on the same network. It sounds like your DNS or gateway addresses are not correct, but that's just a guess.

3. BEEFY2069

BEEFY2069 Thread Starter

Nah man, thanks for trying, but the addresses are the same, and I tried to release the TCP/IP protocol as well, uninstalled and reinstalled it. Still no go. It takes an IP and then just wont let you use it basically

4. calabash

calabash

What is the error page that comes up in your browser?

5. BEEFY2069

BEEFY2069 Thread Starter

-It just says that this page cannot be displayed, so it is acting like it has no IP, but then you go to dos, and can ping yahoo and all that other stuff.

6. calabash

calabash

I haven't a clue. If you can ping, and your DNS is set up correctly it should be a go.
    You've probably allready done this but the next thing I would do is re-install the browser since this seems to be browsing specific.
    That or, heaven forfend, install netscape and see if it works. The idea being that there would be no chance of hosed up reg entries.
    Sorry I can't be of much help.

7. cj_white

cj_white

does the 'page can't be displayed ' error come up quickly or does it take awhile like it is trying to search for the page. if its pulling it quickly then its pulling that page from cache. have you tried the same address everytime. if so try a different page

8. Del

Del

See if you can get to yahoo.ca, if you can't then go to Start > Run and type in cmd and click ok. then type "ping 64.58.76.176" without the quotes and hit enter on the keyboard.
    If you get 4 reply froms and ping statistics packets sent 4 received 4, then type ping yahoo.ca, if you get the same, it's a browser problem or firewall or antivirus, if you get, unknown host, it's third party software or your operating system.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice