1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot load Me--No processes in Task Mgr

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ncpatriot, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ncpatriot

ncpatriot Thread Starter

I cannot get windows ME to load, no system restore to work.
    Problem apparently began after attempt to remove Norton Systemworks. Initial error message "NAV-AutoProtect Undable to determine location of the configeration files.

I downloaded an OEM startup disk and was able to boot in minimum mode and run msconfig. I followed instructions for how to start system restore tool from command prompt per MS KB 279736. Pushing button for system restore or enter command line for system restore produced empty screens.

In desperation, I ran setup from a Windows cab file.

Nothing has changed.

Is my registry backup missing? Any other ideas? I have found what I have read here on this forum most informative and helpful.

In the process of rebooting numerous times a message has appeared twice saying "A required file TL32v20.dll is missing."

Help.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The dll appears to be used in some kind of TimeLock software protection scheme.

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode?

Or howabout running scanreg /restore from the a:> prompt of your WinME boot disk. (or c:\windows\command from a Win98 one)

You will see 4 registries that can be restored. Any but the 5th can usually be restored as long as they predate the problem. Possibly all will, if the system has not ever started in Safe Mode since this began.

3. ncpatriot

ncpatriot Thread Starter

Q. Have you tried starting in Safe Mode?
    Yes that was my first course of action. I got a boot with sound but no task bar or icons.

Q, Or howabout running scanreg /restore from the a:> prompt of your WinME boot disk. (or c:\windows\command from a Win98 one)

I was able to run scanreg /restore from the a:>prompt of the generic OEM WinME boot disk I downloaded from www.bootdisk.com. (Thanks for the clarification. I had tried to run it from the c:> prompt.) Unfortunately, the regchecker reported finding no backups.

It sounds like I am in deep do-do unless someone else has further ideas.

Thanks.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't have a lot of hope for this, but there are two other things that come to mind that you can try.

One is, from that same WINME OEM boot disk a:> prompt that you tried scanreg /restore from, try: scanreg /fix

This really sounds like either registry damage or file system damage or both. If it were just file system damage a Windows reinstall should have replaced the core system files necessary to get a start in Safe Mode. I'm really surprised that didn't work.

One of the things that might prevent that form working is Windows may attempt to preserve damaged, updated, IE files that Explorer also uses.

The second thing is to go back to that progman.exe shell that you ran the system restore command from and instead try:

control appwiz.cpl

This will bring up Add/Remove programs. Sometimes removing or repairing Internet Explorer (usually removing) can get you back to a consistant set of files.

For what it's worth you can also run msconfig from there and uncheck the Startup group so that anything damaged there does not try to load.

5. ncpatriot

ncpatriot Thread Starter

I used the reg fix command and the progress bar got to 98% and said "Windows found an error in your system files and was unable to fix the problem....

I could not get any windows items to run from the progmanager.

The computer is in the shop. The tech has now caught up with us and is going ahead to reinstall windows in another directory. So far I have more confidence in this forum.

I value what I have read and appreciate the replies to this thread.

What will be the impact of installation of windows in a new directory on the previously installed programs?

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

They will all have to be reinstalled. The main value of this procedure is that you will be able to salvage any personal documents and other data. It is also a good test of whether any issues are hardware related.

But all required registry data will not be present for previously installed programs. If you have kept the setup files in an independent folder, you can just run those without redownloading.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice