1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot load windows xp on old hard drive, cannot install xp on new drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bobhri, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobhri

bobhri Thread Starter

Need help! my old 120 gb hd will not load windows xp. It stalls at the safe mode option page and will not load in safe mode, last known or normally.

I bought new 160 gb hd and tried to install windows xp from original cd, which does work on other computers, but only loads everything and stalls at starting windows.

I also tried to run bart pe from cd but that also stalled at startup.

I'm at a loss. I can't seem to do anything with this pc.

Does any one have suggestions to test further? can it be a memory, video or motherboard problem. All help is greatly appreciated. bob

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

How about some system specs and the make and model of the computer?

3. bobhri

bobhri Thread Starter

built by americomp,inc
    AMD athlon xp 1800
    maxtor wd 1200 - 120gb
    ECS ELITE group km400-m2 motherboard
    phoenix award bios v6.00pg

new hard drive is seagate barracuda 7200 - 160 gb
    I'm not sure if motherboard supports 160 gb hd. It recognizes it on boot
    May be 2 different problems with each hd

4. bobhri

bobhri Thread Starter

It also does something weird to make me wonder if there is a problem with the integrated video card problem. When I try to load bart pe (pre-installed environment) from a cd. it starts to load and I can see a few colors and then black screen and nothing.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

The bart disc may not be made correctly and that will stop it from running properly.

The hard drives do you have the make and model numbers for them I want to see if they are SATA or not?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Look at the motherboard carefully and see if you see any fluid oozing out of ay of the capacitors or the capacitors seem bulging?

7. bobhri

bobhri Thread Starter

ozrom1e
    The bart pe cd works fine on my other computers, just checked to be sure. Things seem to load, but not run. Is it posssible there is an integrated video problem in addition to hd issues?
    old hard drive - western digital wd1200 enhanced ide - wd1200jb-00cra1 (120 gb)
    new hard drive - seagate barracuda 7200.10 (160 gb)

Rich-M the motherboard appears to be fine to the look

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

new hard drive - seagate barracuda 7200.10 (160 gb) is this SATA or IDE?

9. bobhri

bobhri Thread Starter

seagate barracuda 7200.10 (160 gb) is ultra ATA

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Here is a long shot this happened once or twice and it could be a stumper.

Go to BIOS and look thru the options and find one that turns virus checking on or off and make sure it is off. Then go thru the installation and format doing it and see if the installation goes thru and this thing about the install disk working on other computers there is a thing with Micorosft about having the same install on more than one computer.

11. bobhri

bobhri Thread Starter

Disabled virus option still the same it stalls at starting windows on new install.
    recap of issues:
    old hard drive
    won't boot to xp, stalls at safe mode, last known good, normal option page

12. bobhri

bobhri Thread Starter

Sorry wasn't ready to send last message. here is complete
    Disabled virus option but it still the same it stalls at starting windows on new install.
    It seems like something more globally is going on here, maybe motherboard, bios, power suppy, integrated video??? what is being sued on starting that isn't on loading??
    recap of issues.
    old hard drive:
    1.won't boot to xp, stalls at safe mode, last known good, normal option page
    2.won't re -install or repair xp, stalls at starting windows
    3.tried from 2 different windows cds, both are good working cds
    4. won't start bart pe, loads but black screen on start
    new hard drive:
    1. will load new install of xp, but stalls at starting windows
    2. tried from 2 different known working cds
    also want to run diag. from A; but Bios no longer recognizes A: floppy drive, swapped out for known working A; still bios will not see.

13. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Looking at the specs you posted earlier in a post the computer looks like it will handle the OS. Do you have an older OS like Windows 98 SE by chance you could try to install that one first.

Is this install being done off a bart disk or off an original windows install disk, no copy of one just an original disk?

14. bobhri

bobhri Thread Starter

Yeah this computer had xp on it previously. I started to format the new hard drive with windows 98 to get rid of all files that might be lingering on the hd. If that goes well I'll then try to install xp on it. Hopefull that will do the trick. I'll update you. Thanks for all of your help. Do you have any idea about the floppy drive - cables are correct, tried manual settings in bios, tried another drive but still the bios won't see the floppy drive.

15. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Check to see if the cable is connected to the floppy drive correctly the red wire is oin number one and it should connect to pin one on the drive sometimes they cable gets switched around. Check the motherboard connection too and then try another floppy drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/601591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice