Cannot Locate ANY Hardware devices. Please Help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hollybee66

A problem developed with my daughter's internet connection and the Wireless router adapter. Her adapter could no longer make a connection with the internet and the computer would not allow me to create a connection. While trying to resolve the issue with the Linksys tech, it was discovered that when I open the Device Manager, it is completely blank -- nothing is listed and I cannot navigate around the panel either. The tech told me he could not help me further until I could get this issue resolved. I cannot figure out what has happened. I don't know what to do or how I should proceed. Please help me! Thank you.:eek:

Read THIS

and if that doesn't work, try this....found it HERE

The issue is security permissions in the registry. I cannot tell how they are lost
but I can tell you how to fix it short of having to re-install Windows!

You must use regedt32.exe in Windows 2000/XP (as I have not seen this problem posted
for any other operating system). Be very carefull making changes in the regisrty!

You must be logged on as a local administrator to perform this task:

1. Go to "Start", "Run", and enter "regedt32"
2. Maximize the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" window.
3. Scroll down to "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum"
4. With "Enum" selected click the "Security", "Permissions" menu.

Note: At this point you will probably notice there are no permissions on this key.

5. Click "Add".
6. Add the group "Everyone" and the user "SYSTEM".
7. Select "Everyone" and check "Read" ONLY!
8. Select "SYSTEM" and check "Full Control".
9. Click the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the window.
10. On the Advanced window check "Reset permissions on all child objects..."
11. Click "OK"
12. On the warning window click "Yes"
13. Close REGEDT32

You should now be able to see everything in Device Manager.

Scorp.

hollybee66

Thank you. It worked. Unfortunately though, the issue I am having with my daughter's computer not linking to the internet via the Linksys adapter has still not been resolved. Still trying to figure it all out to no avail, but hey, that's a different issue all together. Thanks again.

Hey, glad to help!

Now, what exactly is happening with the Linksys adapter etc? Maybe the bright people on here can figure it out if I can't (I also run a laptop with wireless conn, so it should be fairly similar).

Scorp.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online