Cannot locate CD-ROM Driver

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DDC

I decided to make a new post pertaining specifically to this new problem I have. My CD-ROM is recognized in my BIOS. I have the Windows 98 SE Disk in and a Bootdisk in and set my computer to boot from CD. So I choose, Start Windows 98 Setup. It first checks all my hardware, this is the first message I get when it scans for CD-Driver. It also does this when i start without CD-ROM support.

MSCD001
No Drives found, aborting installation

Then after its scanned it says

Device Driver Not Found : MSCD001

Does anyone know what this is all about, btw I just reformatted my HD so this is a clean install.

Also I can access the help file from the Startup disk if that helps anything.

Your thread is confusing as to what you are trying to ultimately do...

Are you trying to install an OS, or something else :confused:

If it's the first one, then simply choose WITH CD support from the boot disk.

Sounds like you need a new bootdisk. It does not apear to have the DOS drivers for the drive on the disk. Go to the link below and download a bootdisk. After you get it downloaded, put a floppy disk in and open the download to create a new bootdisk.

http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

DDC

DDC said:
So I choose, Start Windows 98 Setup. It first checks all my hardware, this is the first message I get when it scans for CD-Driver. It also does this when i start without CD-ROM support.
It also does this whether i choose to start with CD-ROM support, or not. I am trying to install an OS.

Which bootdisk should i dl for Windows 98 SE, there seems to be two different kinds.

For Aca's curiousity in my original post, I fixed it by getting a new ribbon cable, and making sure i had it all plugged in correctly, so you all were right after all :).

Here is what gets me, when i choose "Start with CD-ROM suppport" It still cannot locate the driver, shoudn't the Windows 98 setup disk have it?

Thanks.

DDC

When I use the bootdisk from the link above i get this.

Driver Version : V340
Device Name : BANANA
No drives found, aborting instalation

then after its done it says

Device Driver not found "BANANA"
No valid CDROM device drivers selected.

It does the same with the Windows 98 SE CD except it replaces BANANA with OEMCD001

DDC

Silly thing, it's installing now. I used the WRONG ribben cable again. Apparently there is one specifically for my CD-ROM that i looked over in the box my mobo came in. I'm a dolt.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online