1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot locate CD-ROM Driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DDC, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

I decided to make a new post pertaining specifically to this new problem I have. My CD-ROM is recognized in my BIOS. I have the Windows 98 SE Disk in and a Bootdisk in and set my computer to boot from CD. So I choose, Start Windows 98 Setup. It first checks all my hardware, this is the first message I get when it scans for CD-Driver. It also does this when i start without CD-ROM support.

MSCD001
    No Drives found, aborting installation

Then after its scanned it says

Device Driver Not Found : MSCD001

Does anyone know what this is all about, btw I just reformatted my HD so this is a clean install.

Also I can access the help file from the Startup disk if that helps anything.

2. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Your thread is confusing as to what you are trying to ultimately do...

Are you trying to install an OS, or something else :confused:

If it's the first one, then simply choose WITH CD support from the boot disk.

3. n2gun

n2gun

Sounds like you need a new bootdisk. It does not apear to have the DOS drivers for the drive on the disk. Go to the link below and download a bootdisk. After you get it downloaded, put a floppy disk in and open the download to create a new bootdisk.

http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

4. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

It also does this whether i choose to start with CD-ROM support, or not. I am trying to install an OS.

Which bootdisk should i dl for Windows 98 SE, there seems to be two different kinds.

For Aca's curiousity in my original post, I fixed it by getting a new ribbon cable, and making sure i had it all plugged in correctly, so you all were right after all :).

Here is what gets me, when i choose "Start with CD-ROM suppport" It still cannot locate the driver, shoudn't the Windows 98 setup disk have it?

Thanks.

5. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

When I use the bootdisk from the link above i get this.

Driver Version : V340
    Device Name : BANANA
    No drives found, aborting instalation

then after its done it says

Device Driver not found "BANANA"
    No valid CDROM device drivers selected.

It does the same with the Windows 98 SE CD except it replaces BANANA with OEMCD001

6. DDC

DDC Thread Starter

Silly thing, it's installing now. I used the WRONG ribben cable again. Apparently there is one specifically for my CD-ROM that i looked over in the box my mobo came in. I'm a dolt.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice