1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot locate updated Western Digital external hard drive driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by socha818, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. socha818

socha818 Thread Starter

I have a Western Digital external hard drive model: WD3200B007-RGB. Recently after a Windows update and reboot the computer would no longer recognize the hard drive. A reboot tried to reinstall the hard drive but could not find a valid driver and searching support on the WD website found that WD no longer supports Legacy hard drives. I have tried two other computers with no success (assuming that, of course, those have also received the most recent Window update). I am running on Vista on one computer and XP Pro on the other two. I absolutely have to have access to that drive - does anyone know where to get a new driver? This is a firewire drive.

2. bigbear

bigbear

Go into device manager and see if you have any yellow question marks against a device

3. socha818

socha818 Thread Starter

I do have one: Other devices: WD HID

4. bigbear

bigbear

Ok
    Delete the drivers for that device and reboot.
    Windows should locate the device and load the drivers.

5. socha818

socha818 Thread Starter

I've tried that a couple of times. It locates the device but isn't able to locate a driver.

6. bigbear

bigbear

Missed the part that mentions you tried it on other machines.
    It possibly a problem with the enclosure controller.
    The only way to be sure is to remove the drive from the enclosure and hook it up as a slave in your pc.
    If you can access the data then its the enclosure at fault if not there is third party software that possibly can

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you used Ccleaner or similar? It did the same to me once when I asked it to clean up old files. It deleted about half the inf files for drivers and the external could no longer be installed.

There are no drivers needed. The ones that operate the drive should already be part of Windows.

But--you had the same thing happen with other machines? That can't be related to drivers.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/900297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice