Cannot log on!? Virtual memory minimum too low?!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

olsetm41

hey guys,
cant log on to my windows xp. It will take me to the log on screen but its blocked by the "virtual memory too low" window. Ive tried things in the F8 option during the start up but i dont really know what im doing. I dont have any of the drivers the computor came with. I have so many files that are valuable to me and would hate to lose them. Please help if you can...

techkid

David
Hmm...

When did this problem first appear? Did you do any hardware or software installation or upgrades?

Virtual Memory is what your computer uses when the available RAM is used. It substitutes hard drive space as a memory reserve, and swaps the usage depending on what is currently being accessed most to least.

You might want to try changing it in Safe Mode. On restart, press F8 to open the Advanced boot options list, and select Safe mode. When you log in, go to Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced. Under the heading 'Performance', click on the Settings button (the first one), then click the 'Advanced' tab. At the bottom under the heading 'Virtual memory', click the Change button. Click the 'Custom size:' option and set it at a value that is appropriate for your needs. I find that setting both minimum and maximum to 2048 is quite sufficient.

olsetm41

guys,
i have tried both of your suggestions. still the virtual memory window will not let me log on.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Try booting to Command Mode and doing a System Restore from there to a date prior to this happening.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
The link in my post shows you how.
Essentially at the menu you have been seeing, select Safe mode with Command Prompt
Enter the info from the link

Follow the Restore prompts and in the process pick a date prior to getting this message.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
How much RAM is in that computer?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG and then click OK - "Startup" tab.

How many entries in the list have a checkmark?

---------------------------------------------------------------

olsetm41

flava- i cant even log on

Phil- i typed this command. a window that says system restore has popped up but it is completely blank. No instructions to follow...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online