1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot log on!? Virtual memory minimum too low?!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by olsetm41, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. olsetm41

olsetm41 Thread Starter

hey guys,
    cant log on to my windows xp. It will take me to the log on screen but its blocked by the "virtual memory too low" window. Ive tried things in the F8 option during the start up but i dont really know what im doing. I dont have any of the drivers the computor came with. I have so many files that are valuable to me and would hate to lose them. Please help if you can...

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

3. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Hmm...

When did this problem first appear? Did you do any hardware or software installation or upgrades?

Virtual Memory is what your computer uses when the available RAM is used. It substitutes hard drive space as a memory reserve, and swaps the usage depending on what is currently being accessed most to least.

You might want to try changing it in Safe Mode. On restart, press F8 to open the Advanced boot options list, and select Safe mode. When you log in, go to Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced. Under the heading 'Performance', click on the Settings button (the first one), then click the 'Advanced' tab. At the bottom under the heading 'Virtual memory', click the Change button. Click the 'Custom size:' option and set it at a value that is appropriate for your needs. I find that setting both minimum and maximum to 2048 is quite sufficient.

4. olsetm41

olsetm41 Thread Starter

guys,
    i have tried both of your suggestions. still the virtual memory window will not let me log on.

5. WhitPhil

Try booting to Command Mode and doing a System Restore from there to a date prior to this happening.

6. olsetm41

olsetm41 Thread Starter

how would i do this, phil? could you walk me through? thanks

7. WhitPhil

The link in my post shows you how.
    Essentially at the menu you have been seeing, select Safe mode with Command Prompt
    Enter the info from the link

Follow the Restore prompts and in the process pick a date prior to getting this message.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    How much RAM is in that computer?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG and then click OK - "Startup" tab.

How many entries in the list have a checkmark?

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. olsetm41

olsetm41 Thread Starter

flava- i cant even log on

Phil- i typed this command. a window that says system restore has popped up but it is completely blank. No instructions to follow...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!