1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Make Full Recovery Discs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Reboot Camper, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Reboot Camper

Reboot Camper Thread Starter

I have been trying to make recovery discs for the Toshiba Satellite laptop. I went throught the Recovery Disc Creator Wizard which informed me to have five DVD discs ready. By following the onboard instructions I completed three discs on Verbatim DVD-R 8.5 GB: Recovery Disc 1 and 2, and a 3rd Windows Recovery Environment disc. However, when I was starting the 4th disc the computer fist failed to acknowledge it and then opened the drawer requiring another disc. The disc was empty as far as I know but I went back to the shop and bought five more discs and the system also rejects these although they are identical. However, the applications disc requirement states either a 4.5 or flashmedia to be inserted to make only one disc. I think I will buy the 4.5 disc and see if it works. Does anyone have any experience of this or advice? I am bummed completely and don't want to have to buy more DVD discs as they are all new and straight out of the package.

2. haycg

haycg

I don't understand everything you have written. Anyway I've made backups of my
    HP - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and it took 3 DVD.
    Have more on hand just in case and use the electric outlet.
    For this System Recovery I went through All Programs. At this location your allowed
    to make only 1 copy. This copy restores your computer back to like it came from the
    manufacturer. You loose your Documents and Windows Updates When you use
    this Windows 7 Install. You can also install on a blank, new hard drive.

Another location - Create a System Image - Make as many copies as you want.
    Start - the Control Panel - Backup and Restore Icon - at the left top corner -
    Create a system Image - This image has to be put on an Exterior Hard drive or DVD.
    Takes about 25 minutes. 41 GB
    This backup may take 4 or 5 DVD

I would buy DVD in at least a 30 pack. Wal Mart cost about $14.00

After that Create a System Repair Disc.
    The computer says DVD but It can be made on a CD, I did.
    The Repair Disc can be used to reinstall your System Image by putting
    in the tray and restarting your computer. Be ready to press any key
    when asked or you will go to a normal startup.

3. Hughv

Hughv

Can you open a commercial CD/DVD on this drive?
    I'm wondering if the drive has failed.

4. MowermanEd

MowermanEd

I'm not sure but I think your problem is that you used 8.5 discs. This is why it only made 3 instead of 5. Try some 4.5 discs and I'm betting it will work.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    most regular dvd disks are 4.7g. the dvd+ or -R 8.5g are what they call dual layer and should only be used for very large files, movies, or lots of documents or pix.the 4.7 should work just fine to make restore or recovery disks plus they are a lot cheaper than dual layer ones.when u make recovery dvds u should only need no more than 3 at the most. if u have to use cds instead u will need a lot more.hope this helps.

6. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

I created a bart_pe rescue disk with nortons ghost program on it. http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ it will boot win7 pc so i can
    image the system "C" drive to an external hdd. and store the image there
    i make update images should i need to.I usually keep 3 images
    I have from my experience found that creating images on the fly to cd or dvd is not relyable to many issues to go wrong.
    and when you come to a rescue the discs may be corrupt or give install errors..or may not boot the machine .

so the win7 rescue disk is ok and make your images with win7 system Image feature

7. golddust

golddust

sueohio - Correction on the number of discs required to create recovery disks. You are saying three at most but that is not true. Some newer laptops are requiring as many as five discs. I see a lot of different laptops being an instructor at a computer club teaching Windows 7 and thought for a while that four was the limit, but five seems to be at the present time.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I had a similar problem making the recovery W7 DVDs for a friend .. It made 4 DVDs instead of the 3 required.
    I thought I knew which 3 were good, But since they could not be trusted .. And you can only make one set ..
    I contacted the OEM and asked for a free set.

They tried to tell me they would send them if they did not work when I needed them ....
    I told them to send them Before I needed them .. They agreed with my Logic.

9. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    well the number needed seems to be between 3 and 5. but if u have to make them on a cd it could be as many as 10 which seems to take forever.i gave up trying to make recovery disks for new computers only because if i restore it to factory settings theres so much preloaded programs in there i dont want or need and they just get deleted anyway. for me an easier way is to just have copies of the operating system u need, the correct drivers and any programs such as IE8, any antivirus protection etc on a cd then all u have to do is just reinstall them if needed.just make sure anything u want to save in case of a crash like pix, documents, music is saved on a cd or a backup is made. hope this helps.

10. Reboot Camper

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I'm a bit busy now but I'll follow the tips when I have time. By the way I have already created my Repair Disc. I had to abort the original operation after making the the three discs in the series. I don't think there is a hardware issue. I think it may only be that the type of disc was not specified in the window and it therefore spat out the 8.5. Does it matter if the discs are not all made at the same time or should I go through the whole operation again in one?
    All the wizard says is ti insert your media and then a small pull down window offers two choices: either the 4.7 disc or an unspecified flash media. It is not the clean operation I though and after the first three discs went through OK there was some kind of glitch.

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    If it were me .. I'd call Toshiba and have them send a set .. For free .. 800-457-7777
    You may not be able to make them now that it didn't work the first time.

12. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    i could be wrong but if u make recovery or restore disks it has to be done all at once which i know is time consuming and a pain but otherwise u will have to start all over again.hope this helps.

13. Reboot Camper

I've bought a 5 pack of Verbatim DVD-RDL 8.5 GB and had to buy a 10 pack of Verbatim DVD-R 4.7 GB.
    On putting the DVD in another window comes up over the Create Recovery Disc window and asks me to select disc viewing options or play options. I cancel this beacuse it is unecessary and recieve the message to insert a disc when it is already inserted. I click OK and recieve the message:

"! You cannot record data "to this Media. Please insert blank media"

It seems that the play/record options window is a seperate one linked to the DVD and interupts and interferes with the Create DVD wizard.

It is bizarre and suspicious. Is there anyway I can disable the DVD popup window so that the Create Recovery disc button will work alone?

14. Reboot Camper

Theory correct. OK. I've worked around the pop-up window and managed to creat the discs.

Problem solved.

15. golddust

golddust

I remember at one time you only had one crack at making those recovery disks. Now it seems you can make additional copies. Might depend on the manufacturer though. I was surprised to find out on my Acer and my daughter's Gateway I had additional chances to make them if I wanted to (of course since Acer owns Gateway that's no surprise).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/998185

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice