Cannot not defrag

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dear_vicky

Whenever I try to run Disk Defragmenter a message pops up saying Chkdsk /f is scheduled to run.

If I run Chkdsk get a message saying that it cannot lock current drive.

File system is in use by another drive and do I want to run it when system is restarted.

valis

choose 'yes' and reboot. It will take a while to run depending upon your hard drive space, but after that you should be good to go.

dear_vicky

When I do that it tells me volume is dirty. Chkdsk finishes running but I get the same error message as before when trying to defragment.

Laz123

Banned
When you run error-check did you tick both boxes in case there's bad sectors?

I should back up your data first in case of any probs.

Laz123

Banned
Go to My Computer, Right click on 'c', choose properties, tools, error checking and tick both boxes, click ok, then reboot.

Hello,

You can try to do the following (see the full message here: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/465184-volume-dirty.html)
what you're experiencing is what Windows refers to as "setting the dirty bit" and what you have to do is unset that bit. Every time Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-right operation on that particular drive.

How do I fix it, you ask?

Well, that's easy. First click Start> Run> bring up a command prompt by typing in "CMD" and type " fsutil dirty query d: ". This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and type and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing "Chkdsk /f /r d:". This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type "fsutil dirty query d:" and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive. Good luck!
You also can give a try to the Defraggler Software (http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download).

Thanks for reading

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online