1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot open Access database

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by romlinsys, Mar 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. romlinsys

romlinsys Thread Starter

I am configuring a new machine with Windows Vista Home Basic and trying to access a database on a Windows XP professional machine acting as a server.. this is a peer to peer network..

I am running Microsoft Access 2002..

When I click on the icon it opens Microsoft access, but then I get an error that says

"Microsoft Access cannot open this file"
    " This file is located outside your intranet or on an untrusted site. Microsoft Access will not open this file due to potential security problems."

It opens it fine if I copy the file to this computer..

What am I missing???

Both pc's are in the same workgroup and the file has security set for full access to everyone..

Thanks for any help..

2. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

romlisys, can you create a new Blank Database on the "Server", close it and then open that?
    If you can then I would suggest that you open that database and "Import" everything from the copy of the original on your computer (that you can open). You will need to import all of the
    Tables, Queries, Forms, Reports, Macros and Modules. It is very quick because you can use "Select all" for each section.

If you can't open a new Blank database it would suggest that you have some "Folder" permission type problems.

3. romlinsys

romlinsys Thread Starter

I couldn't find anything so I installed access 2003 and that gave me an option to unblock the file.. Once I did that it opened just fine..

SO I am assuming that Access 2002 didn't support network files..

Thanks for the help..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/811304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice