1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot open any programs after norton upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nando79, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nando79

nando79 Thread Starter

After three months or so after my norton antivirus subscription ran I bought and downloaded the upgrade. I had no problems before this. During the install my computer said it was not installed successfully. After the reboot I am not able to open anything on my computer. It starts up and I can shut down, but I cannot open any programs. All the program logos on the desktop are now the page with the window inside the page. I don't know what these type of symbols are called, but they are all the same type except for internet explorer and recycle bin which won't open either. I tried starting in safe mode, but was still unable to open anything. IE will open up for a split second and then disappear. Any help would be appreciated I am running windows xp sp2

2. Augie65

Augie65

See if you can enter safe mode with command prompt.
    At the command prompt, type
    %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
    then hit Enter. Follow the instructions and choose a date before you
    installed Norton.
    I would recommend that you try AVG 7.5 Free. This is a very good anti-virus
    and I and others on the forum use it.

3. nando79

nando79 Thread Starter

I was able to put the prompt in, then system restore window came up, but there was nothing inside the window

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!