1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot open drives in My Computer, persistent virus problem

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Mr Davo, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr Davo

Mr Davo Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

My computer has become infected with a very persistent virus.

On my computer I have 2 partitions, 1 for Windows XP and one for the storage of data.

After reinstalling Windows XP on the OS partition the virus remains!

This is the error I am seeing whenever I double click an icon, e.g.: Local Drive (C:), whilst in My Computer:

Windows cannot find 'RECYCLER\S-7-1-78-100006322-100024014-100006274-7080.com'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

The dialog which contains the afore mentioned warning message, also presents an OK button. After pressing OK the dialog box disappears but C: drive does not open!

As well as stopping access to drives this virus appears to be blocking all attempts by AVG 8 (anti - virus) and Ad Aware Anniversary Edition (anti spyware) to update their respective definition files.

If anybody has any suggestions regarding how to remove this virus they will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

David

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/809765