1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot open dvd drive.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LUIS39, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

I have separate cd & dvd drives. The dvd drive does not open; this happened in March, and I did open it then by opening Windows explorer and right clicked "Eject". However, it did not recognize the dvd drive and have unable to use it since then. Now It will not even open.

Do I need and new drive?

Thanks!

Frank

2. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

3. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

I used the restore program and it worked last night. This morning I am back to square 1 and the restore program is no help.

:(

4. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

Doug,

I followed your instructions and, as advised before, I opened and used to dvd drive to install a program. But the next day, I was unable to open the drive again.

I have your program XP_CD-DVD-Fix on my desktop, I open it and click on the "repair" button and it asks to reboot. I reboot but nothing changes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Frank

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO SUE

im thinking u might need a new drive or one last thing that i remember reading about somewhere. it might be that the actual drawer is stuck and i think there is a teenytiny hole near it that u can gently use a paper clip to see if it will pop open.or one last brainstorm i had that problem happen only once and it turned out the cd i was using had some sort of problem. it was warped or something. hope this helps.but u might have to have a professional check this out.

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

the paper clip may not work and you may need to pry it open to remove what's inside and it'll need to be replaced, they're cheap.

7. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

I used a recommended program the did allow me access to the dvd drive but now I back to square one:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

Now, the pc will not recognize any CD that I insert the CD drive. I get the mesage "Please insert a disk into drive E".

Do I need a professional to drop in?

Thanks!

Frank

8. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO SUE

yes i think its time to maybe take it in for a repair or replacement. that would be my advice.

9. LUIS39

LUIS39 Thread Starter

Thanks!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/739499