1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot open Emails since I did what I did

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by welsh-jon, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. welsh-jon

welsh-jon Thread Starter

Please help! last night I installed IE 6 - (I have since removed it as I was told that it was unsuitable on Win 98)?. Anyway! Today I cannot open my new emails I get an error message saying "cannot open emails, an eror has occured.
    Does anyone have any ideas how to resolvee this problem?
    Your help will be massively appreciated...as always
    Jon

2. stod73

stod73

How do you retrieve your emails? Are you using Outlook Express?

3. welsh-jon

welsh-jon Thread Starter

Yes, I'm using Outlook Express

4. Cédric

Cédric

have you checked the OE parameters?

5. Miz

Miz

I've been running IE6 on my Win98 system ever since it came out and haven't had any problems.

The most likely cause of the missing emails is the IE6 install changed the "store folder" location of OE but removing 6 didn't restore it back to the original location.

To find the current store folder location, open OE, go to Tools>Options>Maintenance tab and click on the Store Folder button. It will show the path to the current folder, which will have a long alpha-numeric name. However, there should be other folders similarly named in the same place. One of those contains your missing email and it's a matter of trial and error (changing the store folder to each) to find out which one it is.

Since OE has a habit of doing this sort of thing (setting up a new store folder with none of your email in it without telling you), I change the store folder to one I make within the My Documents folder. That way, when OE decides to change things, I know where my stuff is and I can change it back easily.

6. welsh-jon

welsh-jon Thread Starter

Thanks for your detailed reply miz, but I CAN recieve mail and see it in my inbox, but I can't open it. Should I reinstall IE6 or something else?
    I'm not terribly good on the technical stuff..(yet!)
    Thanks again Jon

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice