Cannot Open File on Floppy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dagman

Hi,
Hope somone can help I have an Excel file on a 3.5" floppy which came from another computer. But I cannot access it when I double Click on it. I get an error message saying "File XYZ cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only,or you may be trying to access a read-only location.Or, the server the document is stored on may not be ressponding"
I have checked in properties of the file and it isn't read-only, any ideas ?
By the way I have other Excel files on the same floppy and have no trouble accessing them.:confused:

I had a similar problem. I would save the item to the desktop and then be able to open it. Not really sure why though. But it may work the same for you.

Dagman

Hi ksuwyldkat,
I tried that and got the same error message, thanks for the thought though!

Anne Troy

Anne
I have run scandisk and defrag on floppies and have been successful.

I have run scandisk and defrag on floppies and have been unsuccessful.

Make sure the "Archive" is the only attribute for that file.Also Launch Excel and then go to file and open and browse to that file.

If that does not work, it must be a damaged file

Dagman

Many thanks for you replys, I tried the Scandisk option it allowed me to open the file but it must have been damaged because it opened blank. Never mind I need the typing practice anyway, thanks again.:rolleyes:

I also had that problem with an Excel floppy I bought to make leases with for rental property.... never could get it open except the first time.

:rolleyes: disposable floppy maybe ????????????

Savvy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts