1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot open FoxPro DB in MS Access

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Pactiv, Mar 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pactiv

Pactiv Thread Starter

I have been surfing this site for some time and like it very much. Now I have a problem I hope someone can fix.

I cannot open a Microsoft FoxPro *.dbf file in Microsoft Access 97. I am using Microsoft Office 97. Windows 95 on a Compaq Deskpro DP4000, 6233 machine with 96 meg of ram.

I get the following error: Unrecognized Database Format filename.dbf. Also, when I click on file/open and select the down arrow in the files of type field, I should be able to see the FoxPro *.dbf format listed but I do not.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling MS Access but this did not help. I have also run the Add/Remove option from setup and selected Data Access/Database Drivers/, selected the change option and select all (the select all includes the MS Foxpro databases). This did not help either.

My ODBC drivers listed in control panel are as follows:

In the User DSN tab I have listed Foxpro Files, Driver is MS Foxpro drivers .dbf.

In the Drivers tab I have listed MS Foxpro driver (*.dbf), ile ODBCJT32.DLL, version 3.51.1713.00 dated 05/00/98.

Can anyone help me with this?

2. YSB

YSB

I have had trouble in the past working with Foxpro through Access. You can create a linked table using DbIV format (I think) and you can import the Database again using a Db format. If you link though, you probably will get a read-only link so you won't be able to edit data through Access. Also, some types of queries may not work.

Maybe there is some other way to get a better link but I haven't found it yet. If you come up with anything better, let me know.

Good Luck! :)

3. stepheno

stepheno

Access automatically wants to open .mdb - you should be able to open .dbf but only to enter,edit data, run reports etc. You cant alter the design properties of anything. You could try to import rather than just open.

[​IMG]

4. Pactiv

Pactiv Thread Starter

Stepheno,

Thank you so much for the import suggestion. I am able to import the FoxPro database and access my data. This is a good work around for my problem.

I have a partner that says I should be able to do a file/open database instead of import. She states she has done this in the past but does not know how to set me up for it. She came from another company so she does not have the pc for me to look at her settings.

Is it possible to open FoxPro databases with file/open database?

5. stepheno

stepheno

Hello Pactiv, glad you can read your data. I don't think Access will allow you to change design anyway - but if you want to try, use File/Open but right click and set associate file with Access. That might work. I've not worked with Foxpro but I do know that my Access 2000 will only open Access 97 dbases for data use only. Let me know how you get on.

stepheno

6. Pactiv

Pactiv Thread Starter

Stepheno,

I tried your suggestion of file/open and right clicking on the file to set association for Access. It did not give me the option to change it from within MS Access, so I used windows explorer and right clicked on the file and selected open with and then I chose MS Access. I got the same error as originally reported.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Pactiv

7. Pactiv

Pactiv Thread Starter

To Everyone, especially Stepheno,

Since I am able to access by data via importing, I am considering this issue resolved. No need to research the file/open question any longer.

Thank you for all the help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/39830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice