1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot open Internet explorer when connected to router

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by HailtoPitt, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HailtoPitt

HailtoPitt Thread Starter

My wife has a computer at work that is a PC (standalone) that is sometimes connected to the internet via a USB wireless adapter (Linksys). I can open Internet explorer, when the usb adapter is not connected, however, once the computer is connected to the Internet, IE does not respond. All other programs and applications are sluggish. I searched these forums and tried some suggestions, but did not have any luck.

Your help is appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    could the machine have a virus or spyware - a lot of spyware effects IE ?

have you run any spyware checkers and a virus scanner ?

3. HailtoPitt

As I stated, this computer is at my wife's work, (no IT dept). One of the girls, loaded spy sweeper from 2003 and Norton anti virus from 2002, neither detected anything, however, they are unable to connect to the internet to download any updates. The computer also has McCaffee installed as well - subscription expired years ago.

All of this was done prior to my arrival to help fix.

This is a preschool and the teachers use this computer on their breaks to surf the internet - facebook.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    has anyone opened an email from facebook - theres a virus/issue around that has taken out at least three of my collegues PCs and i'm picking up the aftermarth, of someone trying to fix and wiping out the harddrives ( wished they had called me first )

i would suggest
    download Hijackthis http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html - from a machine that can get on the internet - i suspect this may need to go off site - if this is the only machine that connects to internet , unless you can connect with a laptop wirelessly - if allowed
    copy it onto the problem machine
    run - and then copy the log
    post the log from the connected machine

there maybe a number of other things to do

You could try posting an ipconfig /all
    and doing some pings - to see if it can actually connect to the router and the internet

ipconfig /all

TWO Methods to do that - some people have problems with ONE----

ONE ---------------------------------
    start
    run
    cmd
    ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

TWO -----------------------------------------------

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

------------------------------------------------
    try ping the name and then the IP see below

start
    run
    cmd

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping {the default gateway ipaddress you got above }

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping google.com

5. HailtoPitt

I know that the computer connects to the router. In the system tray - it indicates that the wireless is connected to the correct router. I will run that program and let you know.

Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/777605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice