cannot open links

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fedster

Help, I am having problems opening links. For example when I was asked to avtivate my membership to thetechguy, I clicked on the link given and the page tried to open but did not. This also happens when I try to play online games such as Yahoo games and Pogo games. My OS is XPP, please help. Thanks

Fedster

welcome to T.S.G fedster.
are you using any popupstoppers?check your firewall settings,some can be set to imediately close any windows which they think are poppups.

fedster

Thanks, I have norton internet security and verified that ad blocking is disabled. That's is the only pop up or ad blocking software I believe I have on my computer. Unless windows xp has one that I am unaware of. Any other suggestions?

Hi fedster

Go to tools\internet options\advanced - make sure "reuse windows for launching shortcuts" is ticked

steam

Del

So when you click on a link, nothing happens?
If you copy the link into the Address bar, do you get to it that way?

fedster

Yes the reuse is checked.
When I click to open another link, a page does open but it only shows the top bar, where the maximize, minimize and close buttons are. Nothing else happens, it really is like a window I can see through it to the main page.

fedster

I have not tried to copy the link to the address bar yet, I will do that now and let you know.

Del

You might also try Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options
Click the privacy tab and put it on low, click ok, close IE and reopen and try again.

fedster

Yes when I copy the link and place in the address bar it does work.
I place the privacy level to low and it still does not work. I cannot even open the replies, I have to go to the thread to read the replies.

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
Time for a MSIE rpeair/restore?

John

Del

Fedster,
Try this:
Go to Start > Run and type in the following:
regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll
Then click ok.
This corrects some issues with opening web pages in new windows.

fedster

tried the "regsvr / i urlmon.dll" did not work.
What's MSIE repair/resore?

Del

Two things you can try now:

Start > Run and type in "rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf" without the quotes, then click ok, This runs the IE repair for XP.
2nd:
Start > Run and type in "sfc /scannow" without the quotes, then click ok, you'll see a black window flash on the screen.

fedster

Del, you are an absolute genius. I thank you, my kids and my wife thanks you. It works, it really works. Thanks for all the others who had great suggestions. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online