1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot open mail in Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by toni1595, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toni1595

toni1595 Thread Starter

Hello all. Recently I downloaded and installed the latest updates from Microsoft. And I was also having a problem with my AVG antivirus program so, I uninstalled it and did a reinstall by their recommendation, and that took care of the problem with that. But now I can't get any of my mail messages in Outlook Express to open. Whether they have been previously opened or not. I am running Windows XP and I could do a system restore but will it go back before the updates so I'll have to download them again?
    When I try to open the messages I get a error that says "there was an error opening this message". I've also seen one saying something about an address book error. And in fact when you click on the address book, it will say it can't be found. When I browsed your archive it told of doing a search for the address book. When I do I find several files but, none of them show anything in them and it only creates a shortcut for them.
    Is it possible to use the WIndows XP disc to do a repair and get what I need to get over this problem? I'm a little hesitant to use the disc because I'm afraid I'll lose some files in the process. Does anyone have any ideas?? Thanx.

P.S. I do have another mail program called Mozilla Thunderbird which seems unaffected by this problem. It is only with O.E. And I also have done a thorough virus scan and have checked my Zone Alarm for any restrictions and none are found. I'm sure its a corrupt file but, I don't know just how to go about fixing it.

2. toni1595

toni1595 Thread Starter

Where I haven't had any replies on this thread, I thought I'd give some people a head's up in case it happens to anyone else. What it ended up being was a problem with one of Microsoft's security patches that I downloaded and installed on Friday 4/14. After a lot of struggling yesterday and visits to Microsoft's website (which I find very user unfriendly) I got to thinking about it this morning and figured I'd try removing the last bunch I put in and "viola", my Outlook Express works like a charm as it did before.
    Normally where I am using Windows XP I'd just go to my last good restore point. But I must have deleted them when I did a virus scan in the safe mode.? And I didn't have any restore points before Saturday April 15th. Or at least I couldn't seem to get back to any.
    Now I just need to put the patches in one by one to see which one causes the problem in my system.
    One thing I wish they would do is make it so you could take the installation disc and merely replace the corrupt file with a good copy. I guess it can be done if you know how to write the commands in DOS. I gave it a try yesterday but I finally gave up on that also.
    Happy Easter, Toni.

3. toni1595

toni1595 Thread Starter

The culprit was security patch KB911567 that caused a problem here.

4. dd716ted

dd716ted

I have experienced the same problem... here is what MS told me to do.. Haven't tried it yet as I don't like working with the registry........
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KB911567 is a critical update. According to the report from the development team, we could try the re-register wab file step, which works in some cases.

Register outlook Express with "msimn /reg"

=======================

1. Click Start > Run > type “regedit” and click OK > locate and delete the following Registry keys :

- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WAB

2. Delete wab32.dll and wab32res.dll from C:\Program Files\Common Files\System (We may need to enable the show hidden files options first)

3. Start > Run > type “msimn /reg” (there is a blank space between “msimn” and “/reg”)

4. Start > Run > type “regregsvr32 c:\Program files\outlook express\wab32.dll”

5. Start > Run > type “regregsvr32 c:\Program files\outlook express\oeimport.dll”

6. Start > Run > type “regregsvr32 c:\Program files\outlook express\wabimp.dll.dll”

5. toni1595

toni1595 Thread Starter

Yes I know what you mean. I don't like messing with the registry either. I've heard it can completely disable your computer if you make a mistake. From what I've read they recommend backing it up before making any changes.
    For now I've left that update off my computer. I figure if enough people have a problem they will issue a patch for it. But I don't know if this is that big of a problem yet.:)

6. GubNi

GubNi

DD176ted's solution does not work. There are several mistakes (like regregsvr32 should be regsvr32) in his solution and even when I did it right still didn't work. I have seen this problem on three different computers with no similarities at two different businesses. So far the only solution is to uninstall that update.

7. dd716ted

dd716ted

I received another reply from MS saying that they had sent me the wrong procedure... I am just going to wait and see if they fix the update as I don't trust their new procedure that they sent me either... ted

8. GubNi

GubNi

I have reason to believe that people with this error might be infected with a virus. It might be possible to run a scan such as www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html to clean the computer. Next time I get a chance I will remove the update, do the scan, then reinstall and see if that works. If someone that has this problem would test this for me I'd appreciate it.

9. Conspiracy

Conspiracy

I have been tracking this error with some of my clients going on a couple of weeks now the fix seems to be to uninstall the latest update and in some case reinstall Outlook Express. The procedure is fairly simple once you are on the right track to uninstall Outlook Express; you do have to make a minor registry change on a Dword value that can be found here: (type "regedit" at the run prompt)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C} <---(this could be slightly diffrent on your computer)
    The default name of the registry key value should be "Microsoft Outlook Express 6"
    you want to change the Dword value of "IsInstalled" from a 1 to a 0 . This will make windows think Outlook Express has been uninstalled REboot the system. After you reboot the system. Do not remove your personal settings upon reboot.
    Run this iesetup file uses windows update to reinstall Outlook
    Outlook should now be working. If you continue to recieve the windows updates they will again mess it up so I suggest turnining off automatic updates untill there is a fix for the KB911567 patch. I will post if I get further information on changes to the patch.

10. GubNi

GubNi

You don't have to go through all that. Just uninstall the update patch and it works like it did before. What I want to see is a fix that will allow the patch to be installed and for it to still work.

11. PeteM

PeteM

I'm having the same problem, and come to think of it they all started aroubnd the same time I did the update. How do I "uninstall" the update....?

12. GubNi

GubNi

Just go to add/remove programs in the control panel. Click the little button in the top to show updates then scroll almost to the bottom and uninstall KB911567. You will get a warning about some other programs not working if you continue the uninstall, but I'd rather have email and so far on the computers I've done the other programs worked after the uninstall.

13. skippyroo

skippyroo

I too have problems with this new update. After installing KB911567 update, Outlook Express Address Book does not open. All contacts cannot be accessed. I system restored back and it was fine. Then I read this thread and I have now removed that update from the viewable list of updates to download. DAMN MICROSOFT!!!! test these things before releasing them!!!!

14. GubNi

GubNi

Yeah, this is the first one that I have seen this bad. What I can't believe is that they don't have a fix for it yet. Run that free virus scan and let me know if it finds anything.

15. skippyroo

skippyroo

I did the Virus Scan as you requested and as i expected, no result. No viruses or anything to report whatsoever from an annoying three hour plus scan! It is definitely the update from Microsoft (re: KB911567, for Outlook Express)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/459082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice