1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot open Microsoft Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Deb256, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deb256

Deb256 Thread Starter

Hi All Hope someone can help.

We have recently updated boyfriends computer on here as it hasn't been on the net for several years and now I cannot open Word. When I click on the shortcut an error message comes up ' This action is only valid for products that are currently installed' but it was working fine before. Problem is I run my own business and my son is doing his A levels so we both need word working on here as its a much better computer. My system is Windows XP, both Microsoft and HP have sent me things to try but can't seem to action them.

Thanks Debs

2. Cyps

Cyps

As the error message suggests it might not be installed or it may be corrupted. Do a search for msword on you computer just to check if the executable still exists.

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Is the shortcut a shortcut pointing to an older version of Word that has been deleted? Did you install a newer version of the Office suite when you were trying to revive the PC?

5. Deb256

Deb256 Thread Starter

Thanks to you both for your replies, have tried Cyps suggestion and am scanning as I type. Microsoft and HP both said corrupted shortcut but the instructions they give are hard to follow, they say to Detect and Repair but don't tell me where to start/find it at?? Word was working on here but recently had to recover computer totally and then went through all the updates and now using as main computer so it may well of been wiped off.

Debs

6. Deb256

Deb256 Thread Starter

Hi thats exactly what they gave me but don't know where to find the help menu to start it?? Any advice??

Thank You Debs

7. Cyps

Cyps

Did you find the MSWORD file on your computer? If so double click on it to load Word. If you didn't find it then obviously the installation is incomplete. The Detect and Repair option is found in the Help menu when you load up Word so that's no solution either yet , and you would need your Office CD in the drive also. Do you have an Office CD? If so you may as well re-install it afresh, if not the situation is looking hopeless.

8. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

The Help menu is the one within Word, gived Word would start.

Since it won't use the second portion of that MS Note to create a new shortcut and delete the one giving you trouble.

9. Deb256

Deb256 Thread Starter

Seemed to of tried all and think its lost and have no disc to reinstall, so looking like I'm going to have to go and buy it again.

Thanks to you both for all your help, what a great site

Cheers Debs

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice