1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Open OE 6 from inside of IE 6 Browser

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Jack1000, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Guys,

Here is the situation: I am running Windows 98 on a 6 year old Gateway PC. I had to reinstall Office 97 and after doing so, I found out that my default e-mail program was switched from OE 6 to old Outlook 97. I went under Tools in I.E and clicked on Programs because I wanted to default back to OE 6. But, under e-mail programs, all that is showing is Microsoft Outlook.

Now, under my shortcut to Outlook Express 6, everything is fine. I have all my e-mail messages and it opens fine. I need to know how to get OE 6 back inside my browser when I click on the Mail prompt in the icon toolbar. Right now, it gives me a choice of Outlook or nothing.

Jack

2. sekirt

sekirt

3. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Update:

Well I did a Yahoo Search for reinstalling OE and I was unable to do so because it wanted me to reinstall my Windows 98 CD Rom to reinstall OE and it couldn't find the file. But that is not really the problem because it is just a case of the pathfile name not being correct, and I could not remember the correct file name. Anyway, I uninstalled OE 6 and it took me back to OE 4.72. My address book is still there OK, but I am just moved down to an older version.

I don't want to screw around with Regedit. (I am not a computer expert.) Is there a way that you can just reinstall OE 6, or do I have to go through the whole process of downloading and installing another copy of IE 6 to get OE 6 back?

Jack

4. sekirt

sekirt

See if this file is on your computer: ie6setup.exe It should be located here:
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\ie6setup.exe

Click Start->Run. Type the filename there and click OK. Proceed to install it even if the questions asked seem to suggest not to. I think the emails and address book should stay intact but I would back them up just in case.

Otherwise, if you don't have that file, yes, you will have to go to MS and reinstall IE6 from there.

HOWEVER....that may not correct your problem. Registry entries are the part of the various "fine tuning" that have each person's options the way they want them. As far as IE is concerned, it thinks you want Microsoft Outlook there. And usually those remain intact. The only way to fix registry entries is to manually get in there and do it. If you can't handle it, then you will have to enlist someones help.

If you do it, backup the registry first and then just carefully follow each step outlined on that MS sheet. To backup the registry, goto Start->Run.
    Type: msinfo32 click OK. When it opens click Tools and choose Registry Checker. Click yes to make a new copy.

Post back for additional help or to let us know if you got it fixed.

sekirt

5. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

OK All is cool now!

I just went to download IE 6, but selected ONLY the custom install and had it just reinstall OE 6 and amazingly......it worked!!! I can send/receive mail just fine and my address book is still intact!!!

Jack

6. sekirt

sekirt

[​IMG]

sekirt

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/267637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice