1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot open public folder on network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GeeZZ, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeeZZ

GeeZZ Thread Starter

please help

i have laptop running vista wireless conection to netgear router

home pc running wired xp conection to router

2nd laptop wiv xp wirless conection to router

all computers are connected to the the router and internet fine, i am trying to share files between all three computers.
    my vista laptop can see all computers on the network. it an open its own public folder and the public folder on the 2nd laptop (xp). it cant open the pc message: may not have permission, login failure: user has not been granted requested login type.

the xp laptop cannot see the 1st laptop or pc.

the pc wiv (xp) can see and open both computers

so my prob is wiv the xp laptop

firewalls are disabled all folders are the default share folders soz if missed N E thing
    thanx in advance

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

On the XP machine with the shared folder do this.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

If you see this message the following should be done on the computer containing the shared files:

Download the following and install it

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4544

after installation is complete, click on: Start, All Programs, Windows Resource Kit Tools, Command Shell

Then enter the following commands. (Attention: they are case sensitive.)

net user guest /active:yes
    ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
    ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

The first command enables network access for Guest, the two subsequent ones change two different policies to allow network access for Guest.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice