1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot open rich text documents

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by schugeorge, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schugeorge

schugeorge Thread Starter

when I double-click on an icon for riich text document in wordpad to open it, the doc goes straight to printer......I've tried r-clicking on doc, open with,wordpad & notepad. same thing happens both times........goes to printer instead of opening........

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

Try this, changing the Filetype details:
    Open Windows Explorer (hint: Win+E)
    Select Tools>Folder Options
    Select tab File Types
    scroll to Extension: RTF
    click the [Advanced] button
    in the Actions list you should see Open, select it,
    click the [Set Default] button
    click [OK]
    that's all.

But verify this, on the Folder Options page you should now see:
    Details for 'RTF' extension
    Open with :<your desired app>
    That could be Word, or Write, or whatever.
    If that isn't your desired app, to open the RTF, you will need to click the [Change] button and change it.

3. schugeorge

when I get to the step. you should see open, I dont, only option is print, so I click on new, add : type open, in the line asking which app to perform action, I browsed to C:\programfiles\windowsnt\accessories\wordpad.exe...click ok...however now when I try to open the file I get an error message:
    C:\documents...cannot find this file...please verify the correct path and file are given??

4. ChuckE

ChuckE

Two issues, could be either or both, (assuming you want to use Windows WordPad)

1) You have the path C:\programfiles\windowsnt\accessories\wordpad.exe
    I don't think that is the correct path (perhaps you just entered what you thought, for here) but the path should be something more like:
    C:\windowsnt\system32\write.exe

I don't think you actually have to type in any path since you are just browsing to the app you want, but if you do, if there are spaces anywhere in the path (IF YOU DO) then you will need quotes (") on the whole path.

2) Back in the days of Windows 3.x to have your app work with the indicated file (the one you selected) I believe a parameter something like %1 or $1 after the path to the app you indicate. But since you are using WinXP that really should not be the problem. I think all that is handled for you.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

If the path is in fact correct, go back into the Open options and change the line with Wordpad to end with %1. (leaving a space between the D in Wordpad and %)

6. moper

moper

Try this path: "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\Wordpad.exe" "%1"

Include the spaces in Program Files and Windows NT and the quotation marks.

moper

7. schugeorge

guys thanx for the replies, I've tried youre suggestions and nothing seems to be working....I'll print out every thing and try again...maybe I missed something

8. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

If nothing still works, try going into folder options and deleting the RTF entry.

Then, when you attempt to open the next RTF file, Windows will ask for an application. Scroll/browse to Wordpad, ensure that Always Use .... is selected, and see if that resolves the issue.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/388882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice