1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot open "shortcuts" from My Recent Documents folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CSHnSD, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CSHnSD

CSHnSD Thread Starter

Hi,

When I convert a file from jpeg to pdf, I usually retrieve the pdf file from the My Recent Documents folder. I can see the document there, but when I click on it, I get an error message stating that, "the item "....pdf" has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly". How do I restore? I can open the ones prior to today only.

Thank you for your expert guidance!

2. TekTime

TekTime

Hi there,

Is the location of the file .pdf file changing at any time?

3. CSHnSD

CSHnSD Thread Starter

No, once I convert it (via PDFlite) it appears in My Recent Documents exactly as how I saved it (title and .pdf extension) however when I click on it, it gives me the previously mentioned error message. Everything yesterday and before I can open, just not todays.

4. raybro

raybro

Assuming you know the location of the document in question, right click on the defective shortcut in the recent docs list and select Delete. Then using Windows Explorer, open the document. This will create a new shortcut in the recent docs list for future use.

5. CSHnSD

CSHnSD Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, but the shortcuts in question are pdf's that I've created not pages I've saved from the Web. Like I said, I can access all documents created prior to Friday, 12/9 but anything from that day on I cannot open (even though the document is visible as saved). How can I restore these shortcuts?

6. raybro

raybro

Not sure I understand what you have said. You do know a shortcut is simply a way to open a document without going into the directory and looking for it and does not represent the actual document itself.

It sounds as though you are talking about the actual document, not shortcuts.

7. CSHnSD

CSHnSD Thread Starter

lol, yes - I do understand this however I have no idea where the original document is being saved to. Again, what I am doing is using the software PDFLite to either convert jegs to PDF or print to PDF. I find the converted doc in My Recent Docs and then save to my desktop. I'm sure there's a better way to do this! Thanks!

8. raybro

raybro

If what you have on your desktop is truly a shortcut, you can find the path to the document by right-clicking the icon and selecting Properties. The path will be displayed in the Target window under the shortcut tab

9. oshaileshmohan

oshaileshmohan

Go to start run and type recent....press enter key and your recent directory will open in fromt of you :)

Shailesh Jha

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!