1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot open some websites, others are ok

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Mighty1, Aug 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mighty1

Mighty1 Thread Starter

I run Win 7. My default browser is Firefox.

My problem started with a computer that would not recieve or send email. I would see the following messages, " "An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent in incorrect greeting: Cannot connect to SMTP server 206.152.134.68 (206.152.134.68.587), connect error 10060"
    This message occurs when I attempt to SEND,
    OR, sometimes the following message occurs when I attempt to send.
    "Sending of the message failed.
    An error occurred while sending mail: Outgoing server (SMTP smtpauth.centurytel.net is unknown. The server may be incorrectly configured. Please verify that your Outgoing sever (SMTP) settings are correct and try again.

Since I have two computers using the same email provider, I compared setting and found them to be identical.
    The "bad" computer is not receiving, (or opening), emails promptly either. It seems that eventually it will open a sent email but it takes time for that to happen.

Then at about the same time this same computers, (I use several), will not open certain web pages, but will open others just fine, (although it seems quite slow).
    It all began when that particular computer would not send email, and was very slow to download email but usually would eventually download it. It would almost seem that the two things are related.

I have no problem doing these things on other computers (2 of them).

I hope you can help me out, I stand ready to feed you more information as requested, John

2. Mighty1

Mighty1 Thread Starter

REVISION; Shortly after writing the above description I thought, "what hell", let me try the 'reset' on the modem.
    Pressed reset and solved some of my problems.
    Still am not able to send emails on either of the two computers but can receive emails on both ot them.
    Also the one that would not open all the webpages seems to have overcome that problem, I may have to call "customer no-service" at my phone company, (DSL line), to see if they can help with the message that tells me that the computers will not send!

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Are you using WiFi or using an ethernet cable ? If ethernet cable, change it and see.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  5. Mighty1

Mighty1 Thread Starter

This particular computer is connected t0 the modem by a ethernet cable. I wondered about changing it and will do so, BUT this morning "something new has been added". I hope you will recall I have two computers both receiving email via Thunderbird. Overnite the one that started with these problems received 10 emails but the other one only got 7 of those 10. In fact your email reply came into the computer that started 'going bad', but now the second one is also 'acting up. CRAZY!

6. Mighty1

Mighty1 Thread Starter

OOPS, after finishing the above paragraph I find that I am in error. I thought I had checked Junk mail on the second computer but actually I had failed to do so, and so now I see that the 3 emails that I had thought were not received actually were received and so the email comments above are incorrect.

OK, now that I've had a minute to check around it appears as if my problems have disappeared! Both computers that had been giving me headaches, (failing to properly send and/or receive emails, AND failing to open some websites), now seem to be working 100%.

I'm tempted to call CenturyLink and as them what the hell happened but I know better than to do that. I would only say this, CenturyLink it BAD. The tech support is a joke. In the past I have gone into town and waited at the shop where the actual repair and installation people work from to talk with them. They have agreed with me, the tech support people at the end of the telephone line are lousy.

Sorry to bother you, thanks for your help, since these crazy things happened over a weekend I suspect that the local repair guys, (that I trust), were not working and were not aware of what ever in the hell was causing these goofy things to appear.
    Thanks again, John

7. Mighty1

Mighty1 Thread Starter

Please look at my reply to the other person that is trying to help me. That would be the reply just above this note. I will mention one thing to you for your own information. Yes you are correct about CenturyTel and CenturyLink. HOWEVER. I have a neighbor who had to change his address from CenturyTel to CenturyLink back in 2009 but I was never informed to do so, (my email has worked fine ever since 2009 and in fact as of this morning it works find again. I get completely fed up with them but living in the country, what with the bundling and all, it would be a major complication to change.

Bottom line,,,,,they screwed up somehow,,,,,would never admit it,,,,,,I'm going to make it a point to see the actual guys that KNOW what's happening here in Baraboo, WI. and see what they have to say about it......all I know is "I'm back in business" and I thank you for your concerns. John

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice