Cannot perform this action

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

supercade

A big hello and a happy (for some) new year from the new guy on the block.:rolleyes:

Got me a bit of a quandry.:confused:

A short while ago my father updated his computer suite with a whole new setup - he gave me his fully functional computer and all of the hardware.
The machine has been running on the internet for years now and he has even changed ISPs a few times with no problem.

I take the machine home with me - plug in and set up (he had wiped the memory so I could have a clean start with my own requirements) the machine had been using WINDOWS98 for all of those years and could see no reason to start messing about with that side of things so that was how she was set up when turned on(now has come the fun part).

The computer refuses to allow me to go onto the internet and puts up messages like "unable to perfom action" etc.

All cables have been fiddled with and re-fitted.

Mulpile people who are pretty compitent have had a look at the machine and are stumped.

The computer has even had a new modem just in case the bugger was damaged in transit (although it was treated with kid type gloves).

Rang BT and they did an automated check on the line and this seems ok.

I can use the phone quite happily from the wall socket but if I plug in the computer she is havin none of it.

The guy who fitted the new modem rang my father on the macine to let him know it had had the new modem fitted just to check it worked ok.

Guys if you can help me with this you will have my unending debt.

Any help and advice will be great - cheers in advance.(y)

DZ

We;come to TGF......supercade.

I take the machine home with me - plug in and set up (he had wiped the memory so I could have a clean start with my own requirements) the machine had been using WINDOWS98 for all of those years and could see no reason to start messing about with that side of things so that was how she was set up when turned on(now has come the fun part).
What do you mean by "wiped the memory". Are you wiping out the "RAM". If this is the case, that is your problem.

Now.....if I mis-understood you....then it sounds to me like a possible a bad modem. Please let us know if your have "dail-up" or cable, or DSL ??

If WIndows 98 has been reloaded afresh (which sounds like what you mean with the "memory wiping" comment (Thats the HDD not the RAM, dr911, as the RAM is cleared every time it powers down) then the motherboard drivers will need to be reloaded before it will correctly recognise the peripherals such as the modem.

What is the exact message you are getting? It's possible you're missing a driver for the modem. Are you attempting to dial out with the modem to get online and it's telling you that you don't have a modem, or is it reporting no dialtone? If it's the former, your modem is either damage or you are missing drivers.

Hi supercade,

I am assuming that you are on dialup - if so - goto control panel > Modems......under the General tab you should see your modem - highlight it and click on Dialing Properties ...make sure the area code is correct and that the tone / pulse dialing is checked properly.

Also:

Under the Diagnostics tab select your modem and click on More Info.

This will communicate with the modem (you should hear activity) and give you a log.

If it does this then the modem and drivers would seem to be ok and you need to look at the cable from the output to the phone line.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online