Cannot Ping Net

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobroosth

Two computers (desktop Sony with XP and Dell Inspiron 5000 with Win 98 SE and Linksys PCM100), Linksys Cable/DSL router

Until this past weekend, networking was just fine. Sometime Sunday night or Monday something happened to the Dell laptop. It can ping its own address, but cannot ping the other machine or the router. In WinIPCfg, I can Release and the IP goes to 0.0.0.0, then Renew and get the correct IP, DNS, etc. So at some level TCP/IP has to be working! But no pinging (and no internet, etc.)

I have:
  • Deleted and reinstalled all networking components in Network Properties.
  • Deleted PWL files and made sure I was logging in via Client for MS Networks.
  • Tested PCM100 in another laptop connected to the same router. Worked just fine.
  • Forcibly replaced the driver for the PCM100.
  • Reinstalled Windows over itself. (ie, Setup after booting to DOS).
I am convinced there is some small registry setting or corrupted file (SFC finds nothing wrong), but have no idea what.

Any suggestions?????

Just a shot it the dark....

Have you checked for resource conflicts on the laptop with the problems?

Cheers,

Scully

Is your Gateway IP correct?

[edit]
Oh, wait - you said you can't even ping your router...

bobroosth

My customer spent three hours waiting for or speaking with Dell tech support. The last suggestion, that worked, was to download the current driver from the Linksys web site. She did that and did an Update Driver. The process said she had the most current driver, but something must have changed because the network started working without a reboot!

Thanks for considering the problem....

bobroosth

Whatever the fix was did not hold. The next morning we are back to previous situation. I do have a bit more information.

After pinging the router and the other computer, arp -a shows the MAC address of the other machines even though ping timed out.

Does anyone know of a way to clean the registry of all networking related entries? I am convinced there is a sick entry there somewhere. Deleting all networking components does not clean out the registry.

Have you checked your cables? Try using the cable connected to the PC that does work. Also, switch to a different port in the linksys, try the port the other computer that works is using.

bobroosth

Yes, the cable is just fine. We put the pcmcia card in another laptop and it worked perfectly. Prior to that I had tried a different cable and port.

On the laptop in question have you checked for memory or irq conflicts?

It seems I had to uninstall the vendor PCMCIA device manager or update it at one time. I think that was a Compaq however.

Have you ruled out the PCMCIA slot in the laptop its self?

Cheers,

Scully.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online