1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Ping - "Transmit Failed"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Alex Ethridge, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

Windows XP Home
    Dell Dimension (New)

We have access to the internet just fine. We set up a router and access no longer works. Router obtains gateway, DNS server, domain and all other info just fine; but, we still have no throughput when running IE--"Page cannot be displayed".

Funny thing. We have access when the cable modem is connected direct and the router is out of the mix; but, we still cannot PING--"Transmit Failed".

We've called Linksys (router tech support). They say every setting in the router configuration is correct.

Roadrunner tech support says everything is correct as far as they know; but, they say they do not do router support and cannot say for sure.

Any suggestions?

2. yul

yul

do u have a firewall?

3. Alex Ethridge

I found another forum on the net where this has been addressed. It seems ZoneAlarm was the culprit. The reason I was fooled into thinking that ZoneAlarm was not a factor was that it was disabled.

According to the writers in this forum, disabling ZoneAlarm was not enough in this case; it also had to be actually removed (uninstalled). I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and the ping worked; then I put the router back into the system and we still have no ping with it in place and neither can we browse the net.

As to other firewalls, the one built into XP was disabled and antivirus software was uninstalled also.

So, I'm back to square one. Tomorrow, I buy another router of another brand and try again.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

What are you trying to ping. Can you ping other computers on your network or the Router itself.

Is the router set to give out IP addresses. (DHCP).

Are you using the same cable when connecting directly to the cable modem.

I know I can set my router to deny ping requests as well.

5. Alex Ethridge

Originally, the only reason for asking about the ping problem when the router was out of the mix was that I thought it was somehow related to the fact that I had no access to the internet when the router was in place.

The ping problem is now solved and that is no longer the issue.

The issue is now that we have no access to the internet (ping or browsing) when the router is in place.

Both computers have access to each other. File sharing between them works fine in both directions. Router is set for DHCP. Router is not set to deny ping as this router doesn't have that capability. Same cable is being used--it is a straight through cable, not a crossover and it works fine when the router is connected directly to the computer.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Well just for the sake of argument can we see the IP configurations on all the machines while they are hooked up to the router.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about specifics on the rig? DSL, cable, and make/model of the modem and router?

Have you connected to the router and checked the status page to see if you're connected to the network? If this is cable with a DOCSIS compliant modem, have you reset the router to factory defaults and tried that?

BTW, telling us that Linksys support thinks the router is correctly configured gives us no information to analyze the problem. :)

8. Alex Ethridge

There are just too many settings in there to remember them all and I am no longer at that location to look them up. I'll try again this afternoon with a different brand of router and get back to you.

9. Alex Ethridge

Problem Solved:

Although I will never know why the Network Everywhere router we were having trouble with would not allow access to the internet, I used a DLink router today and it was plug-n-play at its finest. I just plugged it in and it worked; I didn't even have to make or change a setting. In other words, I just connected the cables and it worked.

Just for kicks, after the DLink worked, I disconnected it and placed the Network Everywhere in its place, reset it, and tried it again to no avail. Still, it would do the LAN; but, it would not allow access to the internet.

10. JohnWill

Sounds like a brand to avoid. :D

11. Alex Ethridge

Got it at Walmart.

12. JohnWill

Well, Walmart sells name brands too. :D

13. Alex Ethridge

Network Everywhere is a Netgear product (I believe). I'm not as sure about Netgear as I am about the fact it is actually a well known and respected brand.

In routers, this is all Walmart in my city has ever sold.

14. JohnWill

Actually, it's Linksys that sells that router, I haven't used their router products...

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice