1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot play-back cd's with burned internet music files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zeilbootman, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeilbootman

zeilbootman Thread Starter

I have downloaded music files from the Net and stored them in my harddrive . What method of" burning" do I need to do in order to record these files and be able to play them back on a standard CD player?
    I have no problem copying from CD to CD and playing those CD's back on a standard CD player, but when I collect my own files in a Playlist and burn a CD I am able to play the CD back in my computer CD-ROM but I hear nothing out of my portable radio. I have tried slowing down the burnrate. No problem with buffer underruns. Do I need perhaps a DVD/portable CD player with an MP3 file reading capability?
    Thanks

2. steve_budde

steve_budde

Hi,
    Are you buring them in the MP3 format? If you are that is the problem, they need to be converted to WAV format and burned as an audio disk to be played in a standard CD player.

3. zeilbootman

Thanks for the info,
    I changed all my MP3 files to the wav format.
    My "playlist" on my TDK Digital Mixmaster now consist of WAV files.
    Under" what do you want to do" the following selections are provided:1 Record a CD ROM
    2 create WAV Audio files
    3Create Twin VQ audio files
    4 record an audio CD
    5 Copy a CD
    I chose 4.
    But after I go thru the list of recording options,i.e. number of seconds betwen files etc.etc. and a label request to name the CD it asks you want to save the log file? and I say yes, let me save the log and returns to the Digital Mixma ter and then nothing happens. Absolutely not the expected light flashing on my burner.
    Did I overlook anything?
    Thanks

4. slipe

slipe

You want to use the regular mastering software that came with the burner (Nero, EZCD etc). There is no need to convert the MP3 files to wave and then have the recording software make the small transition from wave to CDA.

You normally select “Audio” for what you want to do and just drag the MP3 files into the record box. The software will convert them directly from MP3 to the CDA needed for an audio CD. The software has to be 2 years or so old if it will not do the conversion on the fly.

The files you burn this way should play on anything. Some entertainment players don’t like some dye types if recorded on some burners. Try them in a few players. If they work in some but not others you need to experiment with CDR brands. Don’t use RW media as many players won’t see them.

It is possible to record MP3s directly as MP3 files. You can get a hundred or so on a CD but they will play only on something with an MP3 converter like the computer or a dedicated MP3 player. If you convert to CDA so you can play it on any CD player you will get only ten or so per CD. If you tell it to record as audio it will automatically convert. You have to record as data to get MP3 files on the CD.

You also want to look for the option to normalize or equalize the volumes between the tracks or the recording will sound crappy with some tracks louder than others. Some older and bundled software won’t equalize the volumes. Try Feurio: http://www.feurio.net/English/index.shtml The demo is full featured and never expires. It is good audio recording software and has the feature to even out the volumes.

5. zeilbootman

Thank you very much,I am in the process of implementing those pointers.
    John R

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice