1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot preform this action file open in Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RalSot, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RalSot

RalSot Thread Starter

I have encountered an annoying little bug that I cannot solve and it's been a while ago that it started. I have downloaded a few files (.mkv) and have gotten thumbnails working for the files. Anyway, after the file was downloaded, they were stuck open in windows explorer. I cannot tell you if this started before or after gaining MKV thumbnail support, but I can tell you that if I uninstall the DIVX Plus application splitter and codec, it still remains affected. I cannot move or rename the files as they are constantly open in Windows Explorer. I can copy the files to new locations but the copies are affected the same way. If I close explorer.exe in the task manager and use CMD to rename and move the files, it works fine but when explorer.exe is reactivated, it opens them once more. (I also have taken to moving the files in Linux to save the hassle of CMD typing.) After a restart the files are open by windows explorer. After renaming the files with Linux (or CMD) they are STILL open by windows explorer. The files play perfectly in both WMP and MPlayer. I don't know what is causing this. How can I close these files in Windows Explorer so I don't have to deal with it?

Do you think the files are corrupted in someway keeping them open? Could it be the thumbnails? I have already used disk clean up to delete the thumbnails and reapply them and that didn't work. Turning off the thumbnails in Folder Options doesn't fix it either. So I don't actually think it is the thumbnail generation process. Any help with this would be appreciated.

2. RalSot

RalSot Thread Starter

Anyone know anything about this?

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    What would happen if you removed the MKV entry in the registry?

4. U2sAdam

U2sAdam

Hi,

I have had the same problem and have no idea why it happens!!! Would love an answer as to why this happens, as RalSot said it still opens in players like VLC and plays on WD player...

RalSot, this isn't a solution but i have found 2 ways to be able to delete the file...

1. Re-download the file from another source (needs to be the same file name), When unzipping u can overwrite the file (hence why it needs to be the same name) even while its open in windows. Hopefully the recent download was compressed with a type of mkv that works.

2. Empty everything in the same folder as the mkv that is not working. Restart the computer then delete the folder that contains the mkv file without opening it up. The second the file is read by windows we encounter the problem u are talking about. For instance if its in c:\downloads\MyFiles then empty the myfiles folder, restart the computer, open up my computer, go to downloads and delete the whole "myfiles" folder without double clicking on it.

Hope that helps a bit till we try and find out how to actually fix this problem. I believe the reason this happens is because the way the file was compressed, so we'll need a codec or a "direct show filter" to fix this but i have not found one yet.

5. antech

antech Banned

Try KLM codec pack.
    I think it includes "direct show filter"

6. U2sAdam

U2sAdam

thanks antech, I installed the klm pack and it allows the mkv to play in windows media player which wasn't happening before, however 1 in 10 mkv files still don't show a thumbnail and wont allow the file to be deleted or renamed.

7. U2sAdam

U2sAdam

Hey antech, great news!!!

Tried to rename and delete the files after installing the KLM pack and it works!!!! the thumbnail doesn't come up but this resolves the issue of this post!!!!!

Thanks heaps!!!!

8. antech

antech Banned

Cheers.
    Please mark this thread as solved.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice