1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot print to network printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mwredt, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

I can no longer print to my wifi network printer. When I try to print I get a message on my monitor that says "Unable to Communicate with Printer". When I check the printer in Control Panel there is a yellow triangle on this printer. This printer is named HP Officejet Pro 8600 (Network). When I run the trouble shooter it says I should make printer Fax - HP Officejet Pro 8600 (Network) the default printer but I don't see the Fax = Hp Officejet Pro 8600 (Network) printer. No Fax before the rest of the description. Would this be the same printer?
    I have Windows 7 on my computer.

2. jhayz

jhayz

Did you check the HP 8600 printer properties by right-clicking in devices and printer? Check the ports tab if HP network discovery port is ticked and printer is set as default (green check mark). Are you connected on the same home network or SSID where the printer is networked?

3. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

Don't know why it should not be on the same home network; it always has been.

I checked by right-clicking in devices and printer the icon for HP Officejet Pro 8600 (Network) but there is no Fax printer there. I also do not see any ports tab anywhere but there is a green check on this icon for the HP Officejet Pro 8600 (Network) printer. Don't see discovery port.

When I try to print, the yellow triangle comes on the printer icon. If I run the troubleshooter it says to share the printer with the homegroup. It always has been because I have been printing this way for months ever since I got the printer.

At the printer after trying to print there is also the yellow triangle on the screen. When I touch that a message comes up that says

Connection Required - Printer must be connected to the network and internet for this feature. How did it get disconnected and how do I reconnect it?

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    It didn't get disconnected, the IP probably changed so the computer can't find the printer because it is looking for it at the old address.
    Any time we have some sort of power blip, I can count on my printer to move. I then have to fire up the router and locate where it is.
    The other day we got some sort of surge because my UPS sounded the alarm but we never lost power. Yup, the printer moved.

My printer moves from 192.168.1.101 to anything from 102 through 106.

5. llsee

llsee

First Name:
    Larry
    Have you tried adding the printer again? Just go to devices and printers/add a printer/network printer, and see if Windows finds your printer. If it does add the printer, and set the new addition as the default printer. If that works, you can delete the old printer.

6. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

Not having much luck. I deleted the old printer, then I tried adding the printer again. Went to Devices and Printers/add a printer/network printer but Windows did not find this printer. Tried to reinstall using the CD that came with the printer. Clicked on "Wireless - Connect the printer to your wireless network and internet". Checked the printer setup screen then checked "I see the status is Connected and the signal strength". Was prompted to enter IP address shown on the printer display which I did. It was 192.168.1.107.
    Then got a box saying "Unable to find the printer. "

7. jhayz

jhayz

I would have tried to atleast use the Add Port option in the Printer properties Port tab if the HP Discovery Network Port is available.

Got stuck with this problem couple of weeks ago with setting up my HP Printer but was only able to resolve it after using/creating a different SSID (virtual or guest wifi) and password on my router of which the wireless printer was able to discover and complete the setup. Can you try creating a new wifi network? Most routers nowadays have this additional feature so you could use the alternate SSID instead of the default wireless connection when choosing available wireless network for your printer.

8. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

Here is some more activity I have done. Hope it will help.

Control Panel/Network and sharing Center/troubleshoot problems/printer/
    Troubleshoot problems preventing printing from completing.
    Which printer would you like to troubleshoot?
    My printer is not listed/next/detecting problems/ resolving problems
    Add a printer/HP37C069 (HP Officejet Pro 8600) / next/ Installing printer/
    The printer Installation failed.

Windows Network Diagnostics/
    Issues found
    Either the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service (PNRPsvc) or the Peer Networking Identity Manager service (p2pimsvc) is not running.
    The Peer Networking Grouping service p2psvc depends on both these services in order to function properly.
    Enable the services needed for Peer-to-Peer Grouping Failed

As for creating a second network, I'm not sure how. But I don't understand why the printer will not connect to the present one. On that printer it says Connected and the signal strength is good. I gives this address: 192.168.1.107
    I enter that exact address into the box given and it gives me this message:

"The IP address entered is either incorrect, or it is from a different wireless network that has the same name as your network. Please confirm that your printer actually has this IP address or enter the correct address below and click Search. Also confirm that your wireless network name is unique."

How do I confirm that my printer actually has this IP address? Isn't that the one that I get on the display on the printer? Also, I doubt very much that there is another network with this name.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I go to my router setup, find the DHCP table and look to see what devices are assigned which addresses. We have 8 computers, and Android tablet and a networked printer in our home. Yesterday we had a power surge. My UPS alarm sounded otherwise I would not have known. That is enough to change IPs on devices.

I have 5 different addresses set up for my printer under its Ports tab find when I right click Printer Properties in Devices and Printers.
    I just keep moving the default address around. (Unfortunately my print server and router are so old that I can not assign a static IP which would solve the problem). addresses_printer.JPG

10. jhayz

jhayz

You need to check your router setup page menus and documentation or manual, the IP address (192.168.1.107) is most likely the assigned address of your printer from your router or ISP modem/router by dchp/dynamic. It would be easy if you let the setup and IP address by automatic or dhcp. Just make another SSID with a new password, security encryption of WPA2-PSK. Connect on the new SSID created when you are prompted to choose on available networks (not the old or default SSID) then let it setup and discover the printer.

11. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

Frustrating. I tried setting up a second network. Went to control panel/Network and sharing Center/Set up a new connection or network/Set up a new network (Configure a new router or access point)/
    Now a box comes up with the title "Set Up a Network" and says "Choose the wireless router or access point you want to configure/It might take up to 90 seconds for unconfigured devices on your network to appear."
    Twenty minutes later nothing has appeared for unconfigured devices. What am I doing wrong?

12. jhayz

jhayz

You need to setup the new wireless SSID by your router setup menu. Launch a browser then enter the router's IP address. A password and ID may be required. Go to your wireless menu and look for creating a new wireless access point - usually a guest or virtual access point depending on your router's features. If you were able to figure out, create a different SSID, password with WPA2-PSK . Make sure to hit Save. A new wireless SSID would now be your access point for the printer when your trying to setup and connect again. By the way, how do you setup the printer to connect on wireless by a router? Do you use a USB connection by a computer to convert USB to wireless?

13. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

I have been going in circles, don't know where I've been or what I've done. I don't know how it got there but now when I go to Start/Devices and Printers there is an icon there for my HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer but it won't let me set it as the default printer and if I try to print a file, this printer does not show up in the list of printers. If I right click the icon. How do I make it active?

14. jhayz

jhayz

Do you have Set as Default Printer among the choices and does it have the Network description?

15. mwredt

mwredt Thread Starter

It does not give me the option to set as the default printer. When I click on it a little box comes up with these options:
    Create shortcut
    Trouble shoot
    Remove Device
    Properties
    There is no Network description at all.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1156283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice