1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot properly install HP 4100n printer with Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikulskn, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikulskn

mikulskn Thread Starter

I have a HP4100n printer and had it connected to my Dell pc with Vista. It would sporadically not print documents, so I deleted the printer and tried to re-install it. But when I plug the usb cable in (it is a parrellel to usb cable), I just hear a bong. So it does not install. What is the proper way and steps for getting rid of anything related the printer on my pc and then reinstall it>

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Welcome to TSG:
    Think I would go into safe mode and do your uninstall.
    Does the printer software come with an uninstall.exe? If so,I would use that
    I am assuming that the 4100 is Vista compatible ?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

You shoudl be able to uninstall it from Programs & Features in the Control Panel, or delete it from Printers also in the Control Panel if not listed in Programs & Features.

Here's the latest HP driver for that printer: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...nvOID=2093&swLang=8&mode=2&swItem=ja-45284-10

Be sure that you do not use the driver that comes on the CD as its not Vista compatible and don't plug it in until you run the driver.

4. mikulskn

mikulskn Thread Starter

Thanks for the hints, but I am really a novice at this. I do not have any printer software/cd's since I just inherited the printer many years ago. Just some comments as to the above...

1) I cannot do any uninstalls anymore because the printer is deleted, but I do not think fully deleted. So I cannot do an uninstall in Printerrs or from Programs and features.
    2) If I download the driver from HP's site, what are the exact steps after download? How do I "run the driver" as directed above? And when do I plug the cable in?

Thanks!

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Once you download the driver, download click on it to run it; then follow any steps it shows on screen. Plug in the cable either when it prompts you too or after the installation of the downloaded driver completes and exits. You almost never plug in an external device before running the driver setup first. You should also plug in the printer into a different USB port then you have been currently using in an attempt to make the computer think its a brand new device.

6. mikulskn

mikulskn Thread Starter

Well I downloaded the driver and it created a folder C:\HP UPD 5.0 PCL 6 Driver with a lot of files in it. There was an install.exe file, so I double-clicked it and just get the normal Add Printer wizard. And the Local printer option in this wizard indicates that it is not for USB printers. So should I use the Local Printer option anyway?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Nope, you can just plug in the printer and see if it asks for the location of the driver you can point it to that newly created HP directory. The issue here is that its in fact a parallel printer using a parallel to USB cable.

8. mikulskn

mikulskn Thread Starter

When I plug the printer in (with the printer On), nothing happens....like it doesn't even know there is anything there. There are four usb ports on the back, and I know they generally work because two of the ports are used by other devices including one inkjet printer. I have heard that there can be issues with using parallel to usb cables, but it was working for some time before I had this problem. Do you think it would help to uninstall all the devices under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in Device Manager and then reboot? But I wouldn't be able to use my mouse or keyboard. Thanks for your patience and suggestions.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

In Device Manager do you have any Unknown Devices or devices with a yellow exclamation mark, also look under the USB section for an unknown device.

10. mikulskn

mikulskn Thread Starter

Sorry...I was away from my home computer for a few days. I do not see any unknown devices in Device Manager or any with a yellow exclamation point. And the USB Controller section seems fine -- I see six Intel USB Universal Host Controller, two Interl USB2 Enhanced Host Controllers, two USB Composite Device, one USB Mass Storage Device, two USB Printing Support, and eight USB Root Hub. Just don't know what to do next.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Not sure either, its hard to say if the issue is with the USB to Parallel Adapter, the older printer, or Vista.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/846445