1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot re-install maxblast 5

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bbutcher85, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbutcher85

bbutcher85 Thread Starter

I have a problem trying to reinstall MaxBlast 5 on my windows XP system. I get an error that installer cannot remove an earlier installation since it is corrupted. I had a Seagate tech try to fix the problem, but he could not find a solution. I tried to remove the program using normal methods, but the same error occurs. I even deleted all Maxtor and Acronis entries in software folders in my registry using regedit, to no avail. Any suggestions for removing all traces of the old program would be appreciated.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try doing it in Safe Mode (with Networking if the installation requires access to the Internet).

However, the Windows Installer service will not start in Safe Mode. That's why you'll need to run SafeMSI in Safe Mode before trying to install MaxBlast 5.

Same thing to uninstall MaxBlast 5.

Be sure to run SafeMSI while in Safe Mode.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

The uninstaller is the only way to remove all the references to the program in the registry. Since you deleted all the entries related to those programs that you found, as well as the folder, it will now be impossible to find and remove the pertinent registry entries. You most likely will not be able to use that program again on that machine. There are plenty of better ones than Maxblast, anyway.

A System Restore to a point before its installation may restore a working registry without those references.

What functions of Maxblast do you use?

4. bbutcher85

I use MaxBlaster to clone my hard drive. I keep a spare hard drive with my operating system and software installed. When something goes wrong I can then recover fairly easily. Unfortunately the problem with uninstall not complete occurred on the spare hard drive and it is now cloned onto my working hard drive. I suppose I could try to use the recover application that is on a separate partition of my HD, but I really don't want to re-load all my software. My computer did not come with a Windows CD, and my first attempt to create a recover disk failed, and Windows will not allow making a second recover disk. I also have a single computer version of XP, and it cannot be authenticated on any other computer, so if I ever need a new motherboard, I am in trouble. I purchased a computer with Vista on it, but most of my software is too old to work with Vista or Windows 7, and I do not intend to spend several times the cost of a computer on new software, so I gave the Vista machine away.

5. Phantom010

Did you try the suggestion in post #2?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

All the files have been deleted, so there is no uninstalling now.

Here are some alternatives to Maxblast for archiving. Images are far more efficient and space-saving than clones, and are made much faster so they can be updated more easily.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving):

Paragon Backup & Recovery (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Comodo Time Machine (Complete system, files, programs, and settings restoration, but not "bare-metal" for failed drive)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla

There are also many commercial products with more features.

7. bbutcher85

OK, thanks for all the great tips. It turns out I do have MaxBlast 5 on a CD, and that usually works better than the windows version anyway. I had to install MaxBlast for windows on another computer and use it to make the CD, but that will work. I will try some of the other software in the future. I see I have the option of making an image with the CD, and I will try that for next time.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Where there's a will, there's a way. Most of the above also have CD's. After all, that's one of the only ways to recover when Windows won't boot. The advantage to something like Macrium is that you can still use the machine while making the image.

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

9. Phantom010

I know that but there might still be a chance for reinstalling...

It was the original request...

The procedure has worked well in the past for other programs, like Java (with corrupted uninstalls...).

Would have been nice to at least have an answer to my question from the OP... :rolleyes:

I'm leaving the rest to you...

10. bbutcher85

I did try installing in safe mode using SafeMSI. I doubleclicked on SafeMSI and got a message it was running. When I tried to install, I got error 1652, which is MSI not running. I am not sure if SafeMSI is installed in the correct folder.

11. Phantom010

Did you run SafeMSI while in Safe Mode?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice