1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Re-install Synaptics TouchPad Driver

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Silvasurfa92, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Silvasurfa92

Silvasurfa92 Thread Starter

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y510P with Windows 8.1. For months or longer, I have been having an issue with the touchpad software. After days of use it will stop responding to advanced commands like two finger scrolling unless I restart the computer. If I try to access the icon in the right corner on the taskbar, the application will not open. It cannot be right clicked. If I try too much the taskbar freezes. I tried to access Mouse in control pad - no response, I couldn't access it. I tried to look for updates for the driver and it would always say it is totally updated or when I manually download one it would say that it is already installed or something.

So today I decided I would fix this problem. I uninstalled the application, and removed the driver in the Drivers section in control panel. I downloaded the program again from the Synaptics site for my computer and tried to install.

The message: "A previous version of the Synaptics TouchPad Driver is installed. If you continue installation, the driver may not install properly. To avoid this problem, press 'No' to exit setup...

I never pressed no the multiple times I tried to install and install would always fail after about 15 seconds. I then looked for traces of Synaptics on my computer in Program Files and Driver folder. Deleted all Synaptics folders and emptied recycling bin.

Problem still persists. Need help. I rebooted my computer a couple times along the way, but not after I deleted those folders. Help would be much appreciated as I can't easily use a mouse to study in class.

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    It could be a physically bad touchpad...

Does the installer have an option for "clean install"?

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

metallica5456 likes this.
  4. Silvasurfa92

The Synaptics program is not listed.

5. Silvasurfa92

I doubt the hardware is malfunctioning if I can't even open the Synaptics program, nor Mouse in control panel during the moments the touchpad is malfunctioning. But, when I restart the computer the advanced controls work and I can access the applications and Mouse in control panel.

The FixIt application seemed like it might work, but I did not list my Synaptics program

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I believe there is a special program that has been written to remove all traces of synaptics drivers.
    I had a problem some time ago and had cause to use it.
    I'm not at that machine at the moment so I cannot look it up without doing a full internet search again.

7. Silvasurfa92

When you get to your computer, Dave, that would be amazing. I've never had an issue like this before, and it was surprising that I could not find more people with this specific issue after a couple hours of google searching.

8. DaveBurnett

http://softuninstall.com/remove-synaptics-pointing-device-driver.html
    My advice is to re-install them first so that the tool has a complete set to work with as I don't know how the tool will handle a damaged or partial removal.

Even then, I did a manual edit of the registry to remove some of the traces that no tool can touch. Obviously that requires care and knowledge of the Registry as there are entries that CANNOT be removed without a Windows re-install.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  9. Phantom010

Not sure I'd trust that program, nor any other so-called uninstaller you can find with Google when typing "how to uninstall...".

WOT doesn't give it a good reputation either. And I don't think it really comes free.

10. DaveBurnett

Whichever one I used worked and was free and I found it via Google, but that was a long time ago.

11. Phantom010

12. Silvasurfa92

So basically do the first five steps?

I have not unistalled my keyboard from device manager, checked the mouse properties, nor disabled them. I have only deleted the Synaptics driver from mouse in device manager and uninstalled/removed Synaptics program in control panel.

I want to be sure, because I dont want to be in a worse situation where I cannot type either.

@DaveBurnett I cannot reinstall the Synaptics program because it says that I need to uninstall it first, even though it is uninstalled already. Will the program work anyway?

13. DaveBurnett

It was a long time ago.
    I do remember getting cross with them!

14. Silvasurfa92

I tried this program, it could not locate any Synaptics programs on my computer. I cannot reinstall either, I feel like if I used this before uninstalling it would have worked.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1163969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice