1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Reach the Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Georgieboi, Nov 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Georgieboi

Georgieboi Thread Starter

I have a Compaq iPaq wireless router. My desktop computer is connected to port 1 and my laptop uses a wireless nic. The router is connected to a cable modem connecting to the Optimum Online service. Until a few days ago everything worked well. Now, neither box can reach the Internet. I have rebooted all devices, refreshed all IP addresses, all to no avail. The desktop machine can connect to the 'Net directly through the cable modem and the laptop can connect through my office wireless network. The only conclusion I can reach is that the wireless router has problems. The LED for WAN is lit as well as the Internet LED and port 1 LED.
    Help!!

George B.:confused:

2. Rockn

Rockn

Can you get to the internet with an IP address for the web site you are looking for? Try this in your browser http://198.175.96.33 to get to Intel.com

3. telepro21

telepro21

Use your browser to see if you can access the router setup. Many home routers include a status page that will indicate whether the WAN port is connected to your DSL or Cable provider and what IP address has been assigned. It is essential that the router be able to connect to your ISP before any other connectivity can be expected. This same screen may include the ability to do a Release/Renew on the WAN port. This activity causes the WAN to request an IP address from your provider. After verification of connectivity to your provider, then test connectivity to the Internet by pinging to a well known address such as suggested in the post above.

Are you certain that your provider does not have trouble at there end?

If you can access the router setup, this will at least prove that your internal network is operational and that IP connectivity is present.

4. smooth26

smooth26

if you connect the computer directly to the modem & you do have internet connection,that means then that your modem is working fine & the ethernet card.if you connect the pc to the router & there is no internet,that means then you should check the setting on the router.check the lights on the front panel if it is ok.

5. HAJ

HAJ

try to upgrade the router driver from Compaq ,,,

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/181076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice