1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot read DVDs... but the disks are fine!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by yzman, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yzman

yzman Thread Starter

hi guys,

I had someone burn a set of dvds with data on them, and mail them to me...
    I tried them on a pc and a mac but they could not be read... the drive would try and try but could not read anything of the disk.
    so i sent them back, thinking maybe they were not burned right or not finalized but the guy who is a tech expert says they are fine, and tried them on multiple pcs and they opened...

any ideas? is there something that i can download (the equivalent of a video codec for dvd data for example?)

the disks are DVD-R 16x 4.7G and right now i am using an HP lightscribe drive that should be +/- R ( it says R/RW/R+DL)

thanks

2. nycmoonstar

nycmoonstar

I wish you put the exact model you have. Hm.. Indeed, maybe your DVD drive does NOT read -R/RW/DL disks though that type of a drive is probably not very easy to find. A box for my DVD drive says DVD+/-RW not just + .

Only another possibility I could think of.. though unlikely is .. some computers from Dell etc come with what is called Drive Letter Access or DLA. Basically once a disc is formated, you can use the disc like a floppy disk. You open the disc from My Computer and just drug and drop files you wanna save on it. It doesn't require you to have Roxio or Nero to burn data disks if your computer has DLA installed. But from my experineces, computers that do NOT have DLA have difficulty reading some discs burned with DLA on another computer even when the discs are closed / finalized. It's unlikely but possible that the shipper used DLA to burn the discs and your computer doesn't have DLA.

Either way, to my knowledge, there's nothing you can do to get your own DVD drive read the discs if it's not mean to read the tyep of disks you got or it's the DLA issue. The only thing you can do is to transfer their contents to another computer's hard drive whose drive can see the contents, and burn another set of DVD+R disks with the contents on that computer using Roxio or Nero.

(Just a though... it'll take a while for your computer to read the dics after you pop them in your dirve... in case you are the impatient type... Also, if you installed the drive by yourself, have you tried other disks before?)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice