1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot record DVDs on my Sony DVD RW DW-Q31A writer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bigg1, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigg1

bigg1 Thread Starter

I have the above DVD writer and when I put in a blank DVD, the properties say 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free. I cannot record onto any type of DVD (+RW, -RW, -R, +R)
    and the 'Type: cd drive' + 'File system: RAW'

the firmware is LYS6 WIN
    the computer is a Medion MD8800 bought from ALDI#

Can anyone help with fix, please!!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi bigg1, and welcome to TSG.

According to the Medion specifications, that computer comes with Windows XP Home. Windows XP does not have built-in support for burning DVDs. You will need third party software, like Nero Burning ROM that is listed as being on that computer, to burn DVDs.

3. bigg1

bigg1 Thread Starter

Hi. I have now managed to get the DVD Writer to write and read the DVDs, but there are still problems.
    The SONY DVD RW DW-Q31A just says 'F:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function' (for blank DVDs and CDs)- and,
    the SONY DVD-ROM DDU 1615 just does not even see the blank DVDs or CDs.
    I can play pre-recorded DVDs and CDs in both.

could this have any connection with me having to install a new graphics card, as the original one died?
    I have put in an ASUS HD 6570 card - it seems to work OK, but....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!