1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Cannot reinstall Windows Live Essentials

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DKTaber, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I have used Windows Live Mail for "centuries", but have recently had an issue with sending emails to AOL customers entered in the Bcc: box, and receiving "Permanent error" on their addresses. Thinking something was wrong with WLM, I tried a repair. Would NOT repair. Then uninstalled it and tried reinstalling. Won't reinstall; get message "Couldn't install".

What do I have to do to reinstall WLM?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    WLM is discontinued. You have to use an old full installer from a third party site to get a working download for it, or switch to a different email program like Thunderbird or Outlook, or switch to using your email service's web interface.

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Not sure want using a "full installer" means, but I downloaded WLM from FileHippo. One would assume that the "installer" is part of the download, but when I tried to install, as I say, it wouldn't. Even though programs are no longer supported, they usually still work; there are just no updates. Example: Wife has a VERY old Compaq laptop (2003) with Win XP. She uses Outlook Express for emails, and it works perfectly. But, I realize OE was built into XP, so it's not a separate program. Oh, well, guess I'll have to use T-Bird or use Comcast's web mail.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The normal Windows Live Essentials installer is just a small program that simply downloads the rest of parts such as Windows Mail from the Microsoft website; but Microsoft no longer hosts those components so it has nowhere to download them from.

What is the size of the installer that you downloaded?

5. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

1.18MB

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1189666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice