1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot release/renew ip in win98

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dhester22, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dhester22

dhester22 Thread Starter

hi im recently installed win98 on an older laptop of mine......i installed my network card and hooked a patch cable up to my cable modem..i run winipcfg but when i click release [ip address] nothing happens.......and when i click renew...........it pauses for awhile and then gives an error message about the DHCP??? I have client for ms netwrks, tcp/ip, and the network adapter installed in networking......did i miss something........

Thanks for any help!!!

2. dhester22

dhester22 Thread Starter

sorry the error message is DHCP Server Unavailable: Renewing Adapter ""

3. dhester22

dhester22 Thread Starter

pleaaaaaaaaase help

4. 10forcash

10forcash

Basic question, where and what is you're DHCP server, if you don't know, set the IP manually, together with the subnet and gateway
    cheers,
    10forcash

5. 10forcash

10forcash

The point is......have you got DHCP enabled on your router....error messages generally point you in the direction of the error, if it says it can't reach your DHCP server, then the problem is with the DHCP server. In your case, the router.
    Cheers,
    10forcash

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice