Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cannot remove avira antivirus completely

Solved 
4K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  dmccoy 
#1 ·
Hi everyone and thanks in advance,

I got fed up with Avira trying to bully me into upgrading, so decided to uninstall it. It uninstalled ok but I still have an icon on my quicklaunch bar and a process that runs to support it.

I have been trying to get rid of it completely, but am getting stuck in a circle where I cant delete the file because it is needed by a running process, can't stop the process because I don't have the authority and can't change the authority settings because the process is still running ??

Is there any way out of this maze ?

It's not an urgent issue as it's not causing any problem as far as I can tell, but it is an annoyance.

Thanks again, here is the sysinfo

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3890 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1721 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 117 GB (12 GB Free); E: 1 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 172A
Antivirus: None

Rumi

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have already uninstalled Avira Antivirus, there are ways of finding and removing its leftover files/folders and registry entries, but you need to know how to do it.
It's not something that we can walk you through from here.

The 117 GB capacity hard drive in your HP laptop appears to be about 90% full, so it's my guess it's full of installed programs and personal data.
You should "de-clutter" it and make some setting changes so it has at least 15 - 20% of free space.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
Hi Mr Flavellee, we have spoken before, thanks for your help always.

I can find the files but end up running in circles, I think I need to log in as some higher level user than administrator?
Do you have a link where this gets discussed?

As for decluttering, by far the 2 largest things on my disk are pagfile.sys (8.2 Gb) and hiberfil.sys (2.8 Gb), but I guess I should leave these alone ? Also I have a huge chunk of space taken up by hundreds of files in C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\ As I don't have an apple computer or even a mobile phone, I wonder what that is all about ?? they all have file names like \9ad9d6b4bbdd0f75e9d3937b0c2cec94ae637bc6\94\94da034a832b0ba78bb135796b18008257a5c26c
some are as big as 400 Mb but there are hundreds of 1Mb sized ones. I don't have the guts to delete them ?

I have some movies and TV shows that I will move onto a portable hard drive and show you the results of that :)

thanks again

Rumi

#4 ·
Hi again,

here is the sys info after my best efforts at decluttering ??

ummm something wrong with the site, it keeps forcing me to log in over and over and no sys info tool to be found ??

will try again later

thanks anyway

Rumi

#5 ·
#7 ·
No problem.
hiberfil.sys (2.8 Gb) - you can disable hibernate if not needed. From elevated command prompt. Type powercfg -h off or reduce size powercfg -h -size 50%. (cannot go more then 50%)

C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\ - This is very strange if you do not have iTunes or any apple devices. Then it should not be there. This is only used to store backups.

#9 ·
here is the latest sys info showing a little improvement in clutter :)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3890 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1721 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 117 GB (27 GB Free); E: 1 GB (1 GB Free); G: 931 GB (252 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 172A
Antivirus: None

#10 ·
Hi thanks

Ok, dckeks, the guide for removing avira wa very good and it has gone completely now.

I do have itunes on the pc, and I do have an ipod touch and an ipad which I have backed up through this pc in the past.

Not sure whether I need hiberfil.sys or not. Not sure whether I can delete the apple backups or not.

Flavellee, the system restore setting was at 2% so I have left it there, here is a screen print :

I notice that it is set to "restore sytem settings and previous versions" rather than "previous versions only" and wonder if this is best. Also there is an option to delete all restore points etc. which I have not done but I'm sorely tempted :)

Attachments

#13 ·
#15 ·
Thanks Frank, it seems we are good.

Thanks Darrin, yes as a by-product of this thread it showed up that I was near the limit of my hard drive storage. A whopping chunk uf which seems to be taken by apple backups. I have just needed to use the apple restore as my old ipad is getting harder and harder to recharge and will die soon, and I just got a new one. So I understand there is useful info in the ipad backups, but I wonder if it is keeping multiple copies of historical back-ups which are not all necessary ??

#16 ·
I recommend creating a new backup for both of your apple devices and then delete all other backups. There really is not any reason to keep multiple backups unless you prefer.

There may be more we can do to clear up more space as well if you would like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.