1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot remove program using Add/Remove in Control Panel

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mbourn, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mbourn

mbourn Thread Starter

I use Windows XP. I have two problems using the Add/Remove function in my Control Panel: specifically I want to remove a program called "Creative Zen V Series (R2). The prompt after attempting to remove comes back with "The specific module could not be found" and leaves the program showing. I need to get rid of this entry.

Secondly I want to remove "Calendar Creator 9" and when this is selected to remove, I get a prompt that says "To install the program it must first be removed using the Control Panel function Add/Remove. This is frustrating as that is exactly what I'm trying to do, NOT INSTALL the program again.

Could use some help with this. Remaining programs can be removed easily using the add/remove function.

Mel

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

Uninstall Both the Programs Manually

To remove the invalid/orphaned entries from the Add/Remove applet manually [Windows 2000/XP]

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
    2. Locate the following key in the registry:
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    4. Make sure you backup the keys by exporting them to a .reg file.
    5. Look for the name of the program with the orphaned entry.
    6. Delete the entire listing for the software with the orphaned entry.
    7. Close the registry editor.
    8. Restart your computer.

3. mbourn

mbourn Thread Starter

Thanks. Will give that a try. Mel

4. mbourn

mbourn Thread Starter

Ok, got all the way to Current Version\Uninstall and no list of programs shows up in the right hand panel. Just one line of info for the "Uninstall" entry. I went back to make sure I had ended up where you told me to go, i.e. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall. So, I'm where I started. Isn't it odd that there are no entries for "Uninstall"?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!