1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot remove (unknown) virus from PC

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by cilu, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cilu

cilu Thread Starter

Hi,

I am running on a WinXP with SP1. I was probably infected with a virus yesterday, but I cannot detect and remove it.

The virus doesn't allow me to open any window, not even the task Manager. I have downloaded several tools, including Filemon and Regmon and I'm managed to see that when I try to open a new application, Explorer.exe is failing to open some temp file, because they (the temp files) where all been deleted.

I have Sophos installed on my PC but now I cannot use it anymore, becase it's failing to start. I have used CWShredder and HijackThis, but I didn't find anything suspicious (more than usual things easy to get rid of).

However I removed a spyware, NewDotNet, by simply deleting the files, and now my sockets are failed to initialize. (So I write this message from another PC). And I don't know how to fix it.

I started my PC in safe mode and failed to find anything strange. I started with a bootable WinXP disk and list all services with listsvc but there is nothing hidden or suspect auto service.

Can you help me with some ideas? Do you know what virus could be responsible for such behaviour of my system?

Thank you.

2. $teve

$teve

Can you run HijackThis,save to floppy and post the logfile please.

;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice