1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot Renew IP through Router "Limited or No Connectivity"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Divetilfive, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Divetilfive

Divetilfive Thread Starter

Hey guys here is my issue.
    Unable to renew ip when connected to a router used as a switch as this router is conncected to another router.
    Pc's were working just great until I decided to move them to another location afew days ago within the house plugged it all back but unable to get Ip's to renew on 3 pc's. I even went back and reset all the routers and assigned new addresses to them got everything powered up in sequence but still same issue. It is not the router/switch but the pc's inablility to renew when conncected to it and driving me nuts! Am I missing something?

What I can say is that if I connect them to the modem or vpn router directly I have connectivity however not when I connect router/switch. I swapped another router that I have 2 other machines that are running succesfully but get the same issue "IP will not renew" on the 3 machines that connect to it.
    Here is the set up; total of 8 pc's and networked printer run through router and some run through a router/switch spred out through the home.

Modem Motorola
    8 port Lynksys vpn router 192.168.2.1
    8 port Lynksys router used as a switch (DHCP Disabled) 192.168.2.2
    3 Dell Optiplex Win Xp connected to the above switch (IP'S NOT RENEWING)
    5 port Lynksys router used as a switch (DHCP disabled) 192.168.2.3
    2 Dell Dimensions connected to above switch(WORKING)
    4 port Lyksys Wireless router used as a switch (DHCP Disabled) 192.168.2.4
    2 Dell Optiplex Win XP Pro/ Dell Precision Win XP Pro connected to above switch (WORKING)
    1 Dell Optiplex Win XP Pro connected to main vpn router (WORKING)
    1 Dell Optiplex Win XP Pro connected to main vpn router (WORKING)

As I mentioned I can get IP to renew when going straight to modem or actual vpn router but not through the switch. All the equip including printer were assigned ips between 192.168.2.6 to .15 but not those three pc's now as won't renew. I guess I could throw down on another router and have Lynksys do a 2 hour debug as another router will cost the same if I use their support. I was hoping someone out there has seen this before and can see where I am losing it.
    I do recall running into this problem before when I set it up a few years ago Lynksys tech was about to give up said it was my PC but we got through it had something to do in the sequenceing of having everything off getting those pc's to renew in some manner but I just cant recall. I wish I wrote it all down back then. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Suspicious that 192.168.2.2 through .4 were assigned as static IPs and three computers did not "renew." What is the Dhcp server's address range on the "Lynksys" vpn router?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice