1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot resolve hostname

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Synt4xError, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Synt4xError

Synt4xError Thread Starter

Goood morning/afternood all,

I am having some trouble with my laptop. It's running Windows Vista Home edition. The computer can get an ip address, it can search the net but via IP only. If I type google.com, it can't find the IP for it. Also, it can't ping websites, but it can ping IP. So it seems like a DNS issue but what kind? I have never encountered this before and I am lost.

The DNS service is started, I have done ipconfig /flushdns & registerdns, when doing registerdns it says failed. nslookup works when doing either hostname or IP, but I can't access anything with the hostname, just IP :(

Hope someone can help, I have tons of **** to do on this laptop and am completely lost!

Thank you much,
    Synt4x

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try THIS.

Enter these settings exactly as showed in the link:

Prefered DNS server: 208.67.222.222

Alternate DNS server: 208.67.220.220

3. Synt4xError

I just tried it, nothing new happen. Same issue. It seems like the computer is having trouble with IP to name and vise versa.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Hit the Windows key + R to open a Run box. Type in services.msc

Locate the DNS Client service and make sure it's Started and Automatic.

5. Synt4xError

Yeah, I have tried that. At first, the DHCP service wouldn't start. So I changed the permissions to the service to my user account to have full control. That got the DHCP service to start, but now I have hostname resolution issues. The DNS service has been started and is set to automatic.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/909352