1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot restore .A Drive is locked where windows is installed

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Deb9, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deb9

Deb9 Thread Starter

I have an Asus sonicmaster laptop running Windows 8, I am trying to do a clean restore. When I press the power button the first page comes up then im left with a black page.
    I press F9 I can get into advanced settings , press reset pc and I get a message saying :- unable to reset your Pc. A required drive partition is missing

Thank you for all help...

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Welcome to the TSG Forums.... :D

What is the source of your "clean restore" ? A partition on the Hard Disk? Or... and external USB connected drive? Or.... DVD's or other media?

T.

3. Deb9

Deb9 Thread Starter

Windows 8 must be installed somewhere on laptop...the only pages I can get to are F2 and F9 I guess on the hard disc as there is no disc drive on this laptop.
    Hope you understand this.
    Thankyou

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  4. Tabvla

Tabvla

Most computer manufacturers (including Asus) set up a "Recovery Partition" when they install Windows 8/8.1. That might sound simple enough, but in practice it is often more complicated than that. For example, a typical setup might divide the Hard Disk into as many as 6 Partitions. These might be named something like - EFI System Partition; OEM Partition; Recovery Partition #1; Recovery Partition #2; System Partition W8 OS. A common practice is that only the System Partition will have an ID - usually C: drive. The other partitions commonly have no ID and are therefore not normally visible to the User.

My guess, based on the error message that you are receiving, is that one of the Partitions is either missing or corrupt.

Because I do not know your level of technical expertise, I am reluctant to advise you further, because if you are not very technical then you could render your machine unusable if something went wrong.

Perhaps one of my colleagues on this Forum can offer an alternate way to overcome this issue that does not expose your machine to unnecessary risk.

T.

5. Deb9

Deb9 Thread Starter

Thanks Tabvla for replying...your right I'm not very technical fixing problems but if you could explain or take me through steps...I can do it thAt way....but thanks for your help..:sneaky:

6. Tabvla

Tabvla

Perhaps it may be more practical to approach your issue from trying to understand what you wish to achieve.

Therefore.... why do you want to do a fresh install..?

T.

7. Deb9

Deb9 Thread Starter

When I press power button...I get black screen windows won't load at all...on the rare occasion it decides to load its very slow and can't do anything...the only pages I can enter are the F 1 to 10.

8. Deb9

Deb9 Thread Starter

It's only a year old laptop...only used by my daughter for her college work...can't understand why it's doing this...wasn't used for downloading or anything like that

9. Tabvla

Tabvla

Can you login using Safe Mode..?

T.

10. Deb9

Deb9 Thread Starter

No...won't let me...doesn't even offer me safe mode

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The ASUS SonicMaster laptops appear to come in these series:
    N43, N53, N73
    N45, N55, N75
    N46, N56, N76
    NX90

Which model number do you have?

ASUS Support

---------------------------------------------------------------

12. Tabvla

Tabvla

I am pleased to see that Frank has joined this Thread. He is an expert on Asus so I will leave you in his capable hands.

T.

13. Deb9

Deb9 Thread Starter

Asus s500c

14. Deb9

Deb9 Thread Starter

Thank you Tabvla

15. Deb9

Deb9 Thread Starter

Hi Frank...
    Underneath the laptop it says Asus s500 c

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1156339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice