1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot restore computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fredd478, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fredd478

fredd478 Thread Starter

i seem to be having problems trying to restore my computer to its original out of the box settings. Im getting a new computer and want him to have a fresh start. when i try to do system restore it just says cannot restore to that point

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you mean Windows -- System Restore -- that's not what it was designed for. When it works, at most it can go back a few months, depending on hard drive space available for the cache.

When it fails to restore -- usually that means the cache is corrupt and has to be flushed. Which of course, is of no help at all -- except to get it working for new restores.

To restore Windows to its "original" state -- you either have to do a clean install using a retail CD -- or use the computer vendor's restore media, generally provided with the system -- or if not, available from them by special order. If this is an "OEM" system you should visit their site page for your model and see what information they have on doing full, orginal restores.

3. fredd478

fredd478 Thread Starter

how do i do a restore using the computers vendoe restore media?

4. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    In my opinion, it is usually a best bet to reformat and reinstall everything from scratch. This clears up most current issues, and is easier to set up for the new owner. I'd get the opinions of other TSG users before going ahead with it. This is a useful guide to reinstalling Windows (assuming it is XP Home SP2): Microsoft's Windows XP SP2 Home Install step by step on a used hard drive

Just out of curiosity, though, how far back are you looking to restore from?

5. fredd478

fredd478 Thread Starter

well the computer is about 2 years old so i was hoping to do it from that purchase date. also i have no cds to reinstall from

6. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Well, I think getting a manufacturers CD is probably out of the question, but I don't know. Your most likely chance is to buy a copy of Windows from a local shop or retailer.

As for doing a restore? Not likely. As Rollin' Rog said, System Restore was never designed for that.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Further to the above, System Restore only "restores" Windows operating system files, it does not touch any downloaded data or user created data, so even if it did work, it would be nothing like a fresh install or like the condition it was shipped.

If you could advise what make and model the PC is, it may be that the Windows recovery files are on a hidden partition on the hard drive, which would enable a factory fresh result.

8. fredd478

fredd478 Thread Starter

it is a compaq model bought from best buy not sure the model number cause it is dark in my room and the wife is sleeping. i remeber doing it on an old computer by pressing an F# key

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice