1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot restore windows 98 from hard drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by shanfer2271, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shanfer2271

shanfer2271 Thread Starter

pc started by not shutting down,not being able to open files in control panel,not restarting,and having to manually shut it off.i went online and tried different things to restore it back to earlier date but nothing is working i still keep getting file vmm32.vxd not found when i do the msdos prompt. what else can i do besides reformat?:(

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hard to make fresh suggestions when you haven't told us what you have tried.

Do you have a Windows CD with the ProductKey?

Are there cabinet files on the hard drive?

If you can do a Format/reinstall you should be abe to do an overinstall from the same media IF it is the same version of Windows.

To find the ProductKey from a DOS prompt type and enter:

C:\Windows\Command\Find /I "ProductKey" C:\Windows\System.dat

If you don't have a Windows CD the command:

dir /s precopy*.cab

should locate the directory in which cabinet files are located. This is typically c:\windows\options\cabs

To run setup from that directory enter:

c:\windows\options\cabs\setup

3. shanfer2271

4. shanfer2271

i am new to all this .i had a friend reformat my pc for me and he has all the cd's for it and i didnt want to call him so i tried to restore pc back to one of the 5 last working dates but it says volume drive c has no label i didnt get a whole lot further than that becuz it was too confusing.i did just try your advice anyway and it says the same thing'volume drive c has no label.my pc was never used online before my friend networked it through his [ in same house ]im just not sure what is going on . it just doesnt leave msdos mode and repeats the same thing when i push enter sorry i dont know what to say lol real beginner here

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

First, we are talking about different things here. If you tried to use scanreg /restore to restore a different registry -- this is different than restoring windows itself. It only addresses registry related issues -- not damaged or missing files.

The message about "volume has no label" is not an error message at all, and should not interfere with anything.

To help, I must know exactly what you are trying to do, every step and and command in sequence.

If you want to reinstall Windows without a format, you must have the original Windows CD with the ProductKey or locate cabinet files on the hard drive following the directions I gave.

The command to find the ProductKey must be entered exactly as given, you cannot make any error, there are only 3 spaces in the line, before and after /I and after "ProductKey"

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice