1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cannot retrieve data stored for transfer!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by maky, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maky

maky Thread Starter

I used the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" to save my data so that I can transfer it to the same computer after a reformat.

The Wizard backed up data into a folder called "USMT2.UNC", and there are 2 files in it... one is a ~800 MB .dat file, and the other is named status (no extension).

When I pointed the Wizard to this location after reformat to retrieve my data, I got an error saying:
    Code:
    The location that you specified does not contain stored information.
    Please type a valid folder path into the edit box.

If you entered a path to a folder to on a removable disk, the disk must be in the drive.
    I really need to get this data back, anyone have any idea how to work it?

P.S: I need to know how to disable the "File Security Warning" when you try to open an exe from an unknown publisher.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I know this will sound like a "stupid" question, but are you sure that you saved to a disk (or partition) other than the one you formatted?

3. maky

maky Thread Starter

yes

I reformatted C:\

I saved the image file in F:\

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!