1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Cannot rid myself of Cortana!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dougglos, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    I keep getting Cortana leaping up at me whenever I click on the start box, and want to know how to disable/remove this annoyance. I have read through a procedure using regedit/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and so on, that eventually gets me to where I must ensure that an "AllowCortana" value is set to 0 (zero).

I have followed this advice to the letter several times, but nothing is changed once I have restarted my PC. Can anyone please point me the way of correcting this?

2. jenae

jenae

Hi, go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. Copy these two cmd's (after copying each one) right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window and select "paste" the cmd will append to the prompt. Press enter after each one.

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v AllowCortana /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules" /v "{2765E0F4-2918-4A46-B9C9-43CDD8FCBA2B}" /t REG_SZ /d "BlockCortana|Action=Block|Active=TRUE|Dir=Out|App=C:\windows\systemapps\microsoft.windows.cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\searchui.exe|Name=Search and Cortana application|AppPkgId=S-1-15-2-1861897761-1695161497-2927542615-642690995-327840285-2659745135-2630312742|" /f

The last one is all one cmd it resets windows firewall. After this Cortana will still appear in task manager it will not however function. You can rename it to remove from task manager, this takes a little speed and if you wish I can write out how to do it for you. (leaving it causes no issues, a feature update will bring it back BTW)

3. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Duly copied and pasted the two items, and received "Operation completed successfully" after both. However, when I click on the start box (as if I was searching for something) I still get the "How can I help" and "Let Cortana help" so it is obviously still there.

4. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Sorry - didn't think to restart PC, but having now done so Cortana nowhere to be seen! Many thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice