1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cannot roll back Server 2003 service pack 2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kenneth2k1, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1 Thread Starter

We had one machine in a 2-machine cluster get a stop error last friday. The app support people helped me to shift all services over to the other server, but then I wanted to load balance again.

They told me I would have to install SP2 and all the updates on both before we could. So I did, and we restarted.

Then once he tried to activate the other server in the cluster, the failed one would not cooperate. They kept reporting duplicate IP addresses, and thus would not work.

So we put it back the way it was, and looked at the failed one. I could not access the network connections to config the interfaces and I could not uninstall programs. I booted into safe mode, and I can see the adapters, but I still cannot roll back the SP2 or uninstall programs. When I try to uninstall SP2 in safe mode, it tells me that there is a file missing. It doesn't specify which one. When I try to re-install SP2, it tells me there is a file missing. It doesn't specify which one.

When I try to uninstall SP2 in normal windows, it just hangs at inspecting configuration. Same w/re-install. I have tried uninstalling through the command prompt also. Same thing. If I stick my thumb drive in there, it hangs at installing that.

So there is something terribly wrong with this machine. Reinstalling windows from scratch is NOT an option right now because there is Oracle software and settings on here that the vendor will charge out the a$$ to reinstall.

Any ideas of what I can try? Besides wiping out windows?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/663614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice